Webcam at the archLinux

Started by omav, November 06, 2012, 03:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omav

Hello,

We are 4 students who are currently working on making an autonomous simple bot, using the olinuxino maxi board.  The first step is making it manually controlled. For this however, we want to use a webcam to see where it's driving (we have two webcams, both which would use gspca).

Webcam support however seems non-existent on the arch distribution that the olinuxino maxi runs by default. No modules show up in /src/lib/2.6.35-8-ARCH+/kernel/drivers/media/video, and manually compiling seems nigh impossible.

We have found 2 sets of drivers for gspca, the first from 2007, which give a lot of function-errors and simply don't compile anymore for modern-day kernels. The second from the repository of the current maintainer of the code, but this seems incomplete, or at least not suited for the scope we need it in.

Do you have any tips on how we might be able to get correct driver modules?

Kind Regards

whophlungpoo

Have you thought of using some UVC comparable cameras and just re-compile the kernel with v4l + UVC support?  On a side note, make sure you get UVC cameras that can export compressed images, the processor is not powerful enough to even compress a single frame / second.

omav

Quote from: whophlungpoo on November 06, 2012, 07:16:15 PM
Have you thought of using some UVC comparable cameras and just re-compile the kernel with v4l + UVC support?  On a side note, make sure you get UVC cameras that can export compressed images, the processor is not powerful enough to even compress a single frame / second.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

We pretty much want realtime images with as little delay as possible, looking at the specifications of the driver, uvc doesn't seem very good for this?

arthurnottheking

Hello,

I had to work with iMX233-OLinuXino-MAXI last month for my research project and so I built a kernel 3.x for the iMX233-OLinuXino using this guide:
Kernel Building Guide for the iMX233-OLinuXino using
Now, my task is to work with MooresCloud hardware based on iMX233-OLinuXino. Are there any tutorials?