[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drspastic

something strange something good something bad!

im still running R10. last night i went into root to view the contents of the boot partition, i didnt alter anything, just view. logged out. this morning i turn on and find i cant run startx from user account??????

so i try from root and x starts fine.... the missus reports she cant get online from the laptop so i go to my router and reconnect from seamonkey on the a13, internet back on.....the net does this here often, and i test loading a page.   AUDIO IS WORKING!!!!!! im amazed.

so the audio drivers only work from root account. any ideas how this can be? is it permissions on the device? how do i fix it?

also im stuck as to how to get the user account to run x again.... last night from root i installed abiword to view a text file. when i logged on today i noticed i didnt close some apps (a terminal window, and the mounted primary partition in file manager) i closed them down and logged out, tried again as user but no change.

ideas please!

drspastic

aha! added olinuxino to audio in /etc/group

now i have fldigi running as a powerful smart modem on my yaesu ft817. what an upgrade!

now if only i can get this exact same setup running on the imx233 i could fit it inside the radio and add a tv port at the rear. this could be the best upgrade for the '817 in 15 years.

im looking at the size of the a13 micro but the different hardware/lack of tv out says NO!

jibaine

I tried to write the R12 image on my 4GB µSD and it says that there's not enough space (about 300 blocks of 512 are missing) Is there a way to modify this? My SD card is an EMTEC 4GB class 4

drspastic

yo might want to try writing the image to another device that is larger such as usb stick and then manually copy the contents of the second partition to a newly created ext4 partition on your target. i have done this a few times on cards that wont play nicely. you should find that your first attempt to dd your target card did write the first boot partition ok, then it spazzed out on the second when it ran out of space. so leave that first one be and gparted the second to fill the rest of the card.

drspastic

Quote from: jibaine on February 02, 2013, 03:18:33 PM
I tried to write the R12 image on my 4GB µSD and it says that there's not enough space (about 300 blocks of 512 are missing) Is there a way to modify this? My SD card is an EMTEC 4GB class 4

ps. dont forget if you do this you will have to change permissions of /home/olinuxino/ back to olinuxino or you wont be able to startx or access your files. easy, sudo startx then right click properties of /home/olinuxino

drspastic

was cedar enabled on the r10 release? is there a command line way to varify this and/or test it? would it help performance to allocate more ram to it at startup?

skenter

Hi jwischka , thank you for the modification on -boot's, boot delay to zero. I want to used relase R10 which is on debian but i don't know where to make this modification to boot delay. Is this a script.bin modification ?

Thank you

Quote from: jwischka on January 28, 2013, 12:31:07 AM
R12 is up.

Should have LCD support back in (sorry!). If it doesn't work, let me know.

Bootwait has been changed to "fix" a problem wherein the board wouldn't start if the serial console wasn't attached. This is not a good fix, and it's not one that I really like, but it is one that really works. I'm open to better ways of fixing it, if someone has one.

Also added some framebuffer support, which has taken us back down into the ~330MB total available memory range on the video kernel. For those of you who use video, let me know what your primary usage is - if most of you don't want/need the CEDAR acceleration, you could have 80MB of memory back. I never hook up a monitor, so it's no skin off my back either way. If we had 1GB instead of 512MB to play with, none of this would really matter, but that's how life goes.

A couple of package updates, added aptitude.

Get the image (R12) here.

jwischka

Sorry all - have been travelling and just got back in yesterday.

Quote from: drspastic on February 04, 2013, 04:51:20 PM
was cedar enabled on the r10 release? is there a command line way to varify this and/or test it? would it help performance to allocate more ram to it at startup?

I'm not sure. You can check the dmesg log and look for something taking 80MB of memory - if so, it should be activated.

Quote from: skenter on February 05, 2013, 11:19:36 AM
Hi jwischka , thank you for the modification on -boot's, boot delay to zero. I want to used relase R10 which is on debian but i don't know where to make this modification to boot delay. Is this a script.bin modification ?

Thank you

If you have a serial console, stop the boot (in u-boot) and type:

setenv bootdelay 0
saveenv

maurosk

jwischka

Quote from: maurosk on February 05, 2013, 06:24:50 PM
jwischka is possible to enable output on VGA during boot on R12?

Should be a script.bin issue - you do have the video kernel enabled, right?

maurosk

Yes i'm capable to start X, but during the boot i have black screen :D

jwischka

Oh - so you're wanting debug messages during boot, before the login prompt comes up? I'll have to look in to that.

maurosk

Yes, if possible i want enable the output of the "boot sequence" on the vga, or bettere is enabling a bootsplash :D