2xMOD-LCD2.8RTP connected to Ol ESP32 board or any solution for a bigger display

Started by mihaiadrian, July 11, 2023, 12:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mihaiadrian

Is there any working way to connect 2 x displays to an Olimex ESP32 board ?  My main problem is that 2.8 inch display is too little, I want something bigger. So, either I will have to buy a bigger display - 4 inch  - from another vendor and pray to work with Olimes ESP32    OR    find a way to connect 2xMOD-LCD2.8RTP to Olimex ESP32 board.  Or any other idea welcomed - like use other Olimex display - which one/how ?

Is is still true that pins 3 and 4 are not used on UEXT, thus I can use one of them as SS/SSEL for a second SPI connector ? Is this possible ? Working ?     Because , otherwise, if I have to find some free GPIO's on the board, I need to solder and is becoming too complicated

Please advise ideas .

THank you.

LubOlimex

Which Olimex ESP32 board?

If it is ESP32-EVB, it would be very hard to connect two MOD-LCD2.8RTP boards.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

LubOlimex

All options should be possible then.

Yeah you can probably use one of the UEXT pins for chip select. As mentioned in the table at Github: https://github.com/OLIMEX/MOD-LCD2.8RTP/tree/master UEXT pins are not used. Just wire ESP32 UEXT pin 3 or 4 to MOD-LCD2.8RTP UEXT 10. You still need to use wires or maybe a splitter like:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Interface/UEXTx5/open-source-hardware

You can probably have entire second SPI for second display, but this requires to have headers soldered.

A bigger display would also work as long as there is support for Arduino or other compatible enivronment.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

mihaiadrian

thank you, yes, so I am already using UEXTx5

My idea is to connect the 2 displays to the UEXTx5 and for one display, I will cut the corresponding cable for SSEL(UEXT pin 10) from the CABLE-IDC10 ( will need probably 1-2 additional CABLE-IDC10 for trial&error cutting ) and connect it to another port on pin3 or 4.

I try to avoid soldering / too much wiring ... this is why I chosed the POE powered and UEXT, less wires, better connected, more simple.   

UEXT is a very good solution.