[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drspastic

r13 kernel in, no change to 3d or video performance though. :(

will have to wait for olinuxino quad core?

jwischka

Quote from: drspastic on February 09, 2013, 05:44:39 PM

The A31? I would imagine that as (if) the Mali becomes better supported, you may see more improvement. I would also bet that you're running into memory problems. Are you trying Youtube videos, or what? I can hook up my cubieboard and see if it does better (since it has 2x the ram).

drspastic

Quote from: jwischka on February 09, 2013, 05:49:25 PM

The A31? I would imagine that as (if) the Mali becomes better supported, you may see more improvement. I would also bet that you're running into memory problems. Are you trying Youtube videos, or what? I can hook up my cubieboard and see if it does better (since it has 2x the ram).

youtube is unwatchable, and i know that with my bottom of the pile 500mhz android phone plays it smooth and my now rather dated samsung omnia 1 can pump decent video into the telly with a Marvell PXA312.

is it the linux overhead thats dragging the a13 performance down? i know nothing about gpu's so what part of the chain is NOT getting the apparently rather swift mali400 to do its stuff? is it the module that drives it? or does it need propriety drivers to function above basic usage like the nvidia stuff one has to stick onto an i86 system to make the graphics card do any fun stuff.

jwischka

Shouldn't be overhead. Let me do sine testing and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Quote from: drspastic on February 09, 2013, 08:53:22 PM
Quote from: jwischka on February 09, 2013, 05:49:25 PM

youtube is unwatchable, and i know that with my bottom of the pile 500mhz android phone plays it smooth and my now rather dated samsung omnia 1 can pump decent video into the telly with a Marvell PXA312.

is it the linux overhead thats dragging the a13 performance down? i know nothing about gpu's so what part of the chain is NOT getting the apparently rather swift mali400 to do its stuff? is it the module that drives it? or does it need propriety drivers to function above basic usage like the nvidia stuff one has to stick onto an i86 system to make the graphics card do any fun stuff.

jwischka

Ok... I haven't hooked this up to a monitor yet (don't have a VGA one handy), but can you try manually loading the Mali driver (which, being compiled as a module, isn't automatically loaded - something I can fix, probably)?

from a command prompt:

sudo modprobe mali

Does that seem to make any difference?

EDIT:

Also CEDAR?

sudo modprobe sun5i_cedar

jwischka

Or possibly try R14, which should have video baked in, rather than as a module.

Edit again: poo... looks like 3.4.29 has been merged in, which is what I get for not doing a pull. So in short, check this and see if it works, but expect an R15 on the way today or tomorrow.

jwischka

R15 released.

Video Kernel
Headless Kernel

Kernels updated to 3.4.29. Mali/Cedar now baked in (instead of a module) on video kernel.

buzibus

Hello,

I've been away for a while, going to try R15 now.

Why 3 file releases now?

R10 was working fine until I had to reboot my router but Olinuxino didn't get an IP when the router came up ( no idea why, all the other systems were fine, including my trusty beaglebone ).

As I didnt had any screen or Uart cable nearby it stood there more than one week without reconnecting :(

jwischka

Three files do that the guys who are still using Debian can just put the kernels on.

R10 still has the bug where you need the UART cable. If you flash R15 that should boot for you.

Quote from: buzibus on February 10, 2013, 03:03:34 AM

Hello,

I've been away for a while, going to try R15 now.

Why 3 file releases now?

R10 was working fine until I had to reboot my router but Olinuxino didn't get an IP when the router came up ( no idea why, all the other systems were fine, including my trusty beaglebone ).

As I didnt had any screen or Uart cable nearby it stood there more than one week without reconnecting :(

mike1968

Hello,

Iam using r11 and it works well for me.

But i could not load "usbserial" modul

Please help

Best regards michael

drspastic

many thanks for the 3 release system, it was no fun having to start from scratch each time a new build came out. will try 15 later and   let you know if built in kernel smoothes video any. no time at the moment to play compiling but would be good to see the config list of modules in/out/loadable you used

drspastic

Quote from: jwischka on February 09, 2013, 11:21:00 PM

Ok... I haven't hooked this up to a monitor yet (don't have a VGA one handy), but can you try manually loading the Mali driver (which, being compiled as a module, isn't automatically loaded - something I can fix, probably)?

from a command prompt:

sudo modprobe mali

EDIT:

Also CEDAR?

olinuxino@debian:~$ sudo modprobe mali
[sudo] password for olinuxino:
ERROR: could not insert 'mali': Bad address
olinuxino@debian:~$ sudo modprobe CEDAR
FATAL: Module CEDAR not found.
olinuxino@debian:~$

jwischka

Quote from: drspastic on February 10, 2013, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: jwischka on February 09, 2013, 11:21:00 PM

from a command prompt:

sudo modprobe mali

EDIT:

Also CEDAR?

olinuxino@debian:~$ sudo modprobe mali
olinuxino@debian:~$ sudo modprobe CEDAR
FATAL: Module CEDAR not found.
olinuxino@debian:~$

Won't have to do that (and can't do that) now that they are built in. The modules don't exist anymore.

Quote from: mike1968 on February 10, 2013, 12:00:10 PM
Hello,

Iam using r11 and it works well for me.

But i could not load "usbserial" modul

Please help

Best regards michael

Does USB-serial not work? In other words, it may be compiled into the kernel itself, and you may not need to load it.

Also, do you see the same behavior on R15?

drspastic

R15; assaultcube now renders and doesnt crash! not playable but a good test, so something changed for the better.