[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwischka

I'll send you a PM when I get it ripped. Sorry... the past couple of days have been filled with 5+ hour conference calls for a new project I've been assigned to... which has cut down my ability to play on fun projects I'd rather be working on :)

Hopefully this weekend!

Quote from: Ekkehard on June 28, 2013, 02:08:05 AM
Success!!

Changing /bin/auto-root-login into /bin/login in the file /etc/init/openvt.conf fixed the issue.  Thank you so much for bringing it up @aquarat - I had already put it on the pile of "things that didn't work" - too early, as it turns out.  Now I can leave getty enabled on tty1 to be able to log in and use X for maintenance on calibre.

@jwischka, of course I will still check out your native Raring beta!!

Ekkehard

No rush @jwischka - as you know, my burning issue is solved.  I also just got a couple of PCBs back from the fab - so I am off to soldering for a while - not so much fun when the parts are getting smaller at the same rate as your eyes are getting weaker...

drspastic

hi, hows things? i have been away from the forum a few months. i am still using 3.4.29-jwischka-3.4-video-20130209-R15+ and its been great so far. i did just get a Realtek RTL2832U based dongle and dmesg didnt pick it up other than a usb device. is there a shortcut way to get this working without a recompile?

jwischka

Quote from: drspastic on June 29, 2013, 07:48:54 PM
hi, hows things? i have been away from the forum a few months. i am still using 3.4.29-jwischka-3.4-video-20130209-R15+ and its been great so far. i did just get a Realtek RTL2832U based dongle and dmesg didnt pick it up other than a usb device. is there a shortcut way to get this working without a recompile?

Probably need a new kernel. I'll see if I can get the new 3.4 branch to be a bit more stable and look into a release...

drspastic

i still cant believe how stable this old version has been. maybe one crash in months of uptime and that was my fault!

jwischka

Ok... update time.

You will note this has a big fat BETA tag on it. I think there may be a couple of regression issues. Or it could just be my board. If that scares you, don't use it.

First, there should be broader driver support. We're also on 3.4.43 now, for whatever that's worth. Someone decided to break SPI support in the kernel, so there is no SPI support, allowing things to compile. There may or may not be an issue with rebooting more than one time. There is for me. If people could test and see if their board hangs after a second reboot, I'd be grateful.

You will also note that there is a different user name. If you try to login with olinuxino as your user, you will not be able to. New U/P is ubuntu/olinuxino. The big news in this update is that we are on an official Raring filesystem, which should make everyone happier. At least, it would make me happier if I could nail down this stupid reboot issue.

Download: Get R19-BETA image here.

jpacha

Good job, jwischka, but for me is still the bug that don't allows doing a reboot the second time.... :S

What's the last version of your distribution without this bug? Is possible to compile it (i'm noob with kernels...) with ftdi support? At this moment, your distribution is the only with FTDI, but still need to reboot remotely....

Thanks for your effort!

jwischka

Quote from: jpacha on July 08, 2013, 02:56:11 PM
Good job, jwischka, but for me is still the bug that don't allows doing a reboot the second time.... :S

What's the last version of your distribution without this bug? Is possible to compile it (i'm noob with kernels...) with ftdi support? At this moment, your distribution is the only with FTDI, but still need to reboot remotely....

Thanks for your effort!

R18 should work for you.

jpacha

Quote from: jwischka on July 08, 2013, 03:02:00 PM

Thanks for your effort!

R18 should work for you.
Wow! Instant reply!
:( No, R18 has the same problem with rebooting... the second reboot hangs

jwischka

Quote from: jpacha on July 08, 2013, 03:09:29 PM

Thanks for your effort!

Did you flash the whole R18 image, or just replace the kernel? R18 reboots fine for me.

The reboot problem seems to be a kernel issue, and one that is not so easy to track down. If I get a chance, along with the million other things I have to do this week, I may try to see if I can debug it some more. Until then, hope someone on linux-sunxi fixes what they broke :).

R18 should work for you.
Wow! Instant reply!

jpacha

Quote from: jwischka on July 08, 2013, 03:12:40 PM
Quote from: jpacha on July 08, 2013, 03:09:29 PM

Thanks for your effort!

Did you flash the whole R18 image, or just replace the kernel? R18 reboots fine for me.

The reboot problem seems to be a kernel issue, and one that is not so easy to track down. If I get a chance, along with the million other things I have to do this week, I may try to see if I can debug it some more. Until then, hope someone on linux-sunxi fixes what they broke :).

R18 should work for you.
Wow! Instant reply!

Tested with R18, blank installation, full image, ... can't reboot twice: Second hangs.

jwischka

I'll try to put together a new kernel again this week and see if the problem is fixed.

pongo

Hello,
it's possible to have your kernel source, in addition to bin?

I'm trying to compile module rtl8188eu, but I need original kernel source.
If I get kernel from linux-sunxi (git checkout v3.4.29-r2), using your .config file, and compiling module, I cannot insmod module.

Thank you

jwischka

Quote from: pongo on July 09, 2013, 04:40:00 PM
Hello,
it's possible to have your kernel source, in addition to bin?

I'm trying to compile module rtl8188eu, but I need original kernel source.
If I get kernel from linux-sunxi (git checkout v3.4.29-r2), using your .config file, and compiling module, I cannot insmod module.

Thank you

Do a git checkout sunxi-3.4 instead. My source is the source from linux-sunxi, with a couple of changes made to the i2c files to make them work on the Olinuxino.

pongo

Hello,
alredy done, but last version is 3.4.43, your is 3.4.29.

I would not recompile the whole kernel.
I tried, but it failed. I'm cross compiling from Ubuntu 12.04 (gnueabihf)

Thank you