[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwischka

Quote from: aquarat on May 08, 2013, 12:23:40 AM
Anybody have any idea how can I access the GPIOs ? (on the Pi it's under /sys/class/gpio/)

Easiest way is probably to install the python GPIO library - if that fits within the scheme of what you're trying to do.

milimilimoy

Hi jwischka,

Thank you for your work wich is very helpful to me.

I'm actually working on a project on A13-OlinuXino-Wifi board. I compiled a Linaro Developper OS for the board and a QT GUI which automatically run at the boot.

In order to optimize the boot time I'm trying to build Mali driver in the kernel and not to load it as a module.

A saw that you did it since the R15 version and tried to use it with the R18 version.
I installed the client driver using sunxi-mali with the config

EGL_TYPE=framebuffer VERSION=r3p0

when I run the "test" example I got the next error

UMP:ump_arch_open() failed to open UMP device driver
Could not initialize egl display

EGL error
Aborded

It is as if the kernel driver were not loaded. Do you have an idea of where I did a mistake ?
I just precise that everything is working when I use mali as a module.

Thank you very much in advance

Martin

jwischka

Did your compile work correctly with MALI built into the kernel? (In other words, are you sure that your kernel does contain MALI support, not as a module?)

Quote from: milimilimoy on May 22, 2013, 05:43:50 PM
Hi jwischka,

Thank you for your work wich is very helpful to me.

I'm actually working on a project on A13-OlinuXino-Wifi board. I compiled a Linaro Developper OS for the board and a QT GUI which automatically run at the boot.

In order to optimize the boot time I'm trying to build Mali driver in the kernel and not to load it as a module.

A saw that you did it since the R15 version and tried to use it with the R18 version.
I installed the client driver using sunxi-mali with the config

EGL_TYPE=framebuffer VERSION=r3p0

when I run the "test" example I got the next error

UMP:ump_arch_open() failed to open UMP device driver
Could not initialize egl display

EGL error
Aborded

It is as if the kernel driver were not loaded. Do you have an idea of where I did a mistake ?
I just precise that everything is working when I use mali as a module.

Thank you very much in advance

Martin

bobmelville

Using your R18 image and it looks quite nice.
But, I want to use a Davicom DM9601 usb-ethernet adapter.
There is a driver for this in my laptop Ubuntu machine, but not your
distribution. Can you compile a driver for this device?

Here is a link to the manufacturer's web site with source code:
http://www.davicom.com.tw/page1.aspx?no=209814

jwischka

Quote from: bobmelville on May 27, 2013, 04:36:50 AM
Using your R18 image and it looks quite nice.
But, I want to use a Davicom DM9601 usb-ethernet adapter.
There is a driver for this in my laptop Ubuntu machine, but not your
distribution. Can you compile a driver for this device?

Here is a link to the manufacturer's web site with source code:
http://www.davicom.com.tw/page1.aspx?no=209814

Bob -

I'll have to look into it, and how much (if any) will have to be changed to make it work on ARM. I'm out this week, but can you PM me next Monday to remind me?

bobmelville

Much appreciated!
I am already finding this image to be quite useful, but
need to have internet access to install additional packages,
like a Fortran compiler.

Ekkehard

long time no activity here - am I still at the right place?  Love the R18 build!  Works like a charm - running apache and all for me...

@bobmelville: I know, this is a late response, but did you put the lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

into your /etc/network/interfaces file?  I guess they have been eliminated in favor of the WiFi customization, which is what most people seem to be using.  In your case you can comment out all the WLAN stuff to speed up boot time.

@jwischka: Could you tell us how to disable the "auto login" feature?  When I start up the board with a video-enabled kernel and a console attached, I get logged into the olinuxino account with full superuser privileges.  For initial configuration this may be what you want, but in the long run it's a bit too much power without password for my taste. I was looking for the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file to edit to disable it, but there is no such file, not even such a directory.  The older /etc/gdm directory with the gdm.conf file does not exist either.  So I am running out of ideas.

jwischka

So I'm clear, you're saying that you are auto-logged in when you have the video kernel enabled and have a keyboard, monitor, etc attached? That isn't behavior in the normal release, as far as I am aware. Have you changed something?

My suggestion would be to look into getty and see if you have autologin enabled there.

So everyone knows, I'm wanting to release a new kernel and image based on Raring, but frankly the current sunxi 3.4 kernel is, well, broken for the A13. That and I'm trying to track down a couple of annoying bugs in my spare time before releasing it. Hopefully soon, when a few more changes get committed in the sunxi branch.

Quote from: Ekkehard on June 26, 2013, 01:17:07 AM
long time no activity here - am I still at the right place?  Love the R18 build!  Works like a charm - running apache and all for me...

@bobmelville: I know, this is a late response, but did you put the lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

into your /etc/network/interfaces file?  I guess they have been eliminated in favor of the WiFi customization, which is what most people seem to be using.  In your case you can comment out all the WLAN stuff to speed up boot time.

@jwischka: Could you tell us how to disable the "auto login" feature?  When I start up the board with a video-enabled kernel and a console attached, I get logged into the olinuxino account with full superuser privileges.  For initial configuration this may be what you want, but in the long run it's a bit too much power without password for my taste. I was looking for the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file to edit to disable it, but there is no such file, not even such a directory.  The older /etc/gdm directory with the gdm.conf file does not exist either.  So I am running out of ideas.

Ekkehard

Yup - that is exactly what I am seeing.  I did install a bunch of stuff (gawk, realpath, apache2, php5, php5-cgi, calibre), but I am not aware that I changed anything other than /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts to change the host name and of course /etc/network/interfaces to get my USB Ethernet adaptor to work.  If you are not seeing this - I'll start over with a fresh install directly from your image.  Maybe I was doing something else without noticing.....

Thanks for the very prompt response!!!

jwischka

Quote from: Ekkehard on June 26, 2013, 01:33:47 AM
Yup - that is exactly what I am seeing.  I did install a bunch of stuff (gawk, realpath, apache2, php5, php5-cgi, calibre), but I am not aware that I changed anything other than /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts to change the host name and of course /etc/network/interfaces to get my USB Ethernet adaptor to work.  If you are not seeing this - I'll start over with a fresh install directly from your image.  Maybe I was doing something else without noticing.....

Thanks for the very prompt response!!!

Let me know if you still see the same behavior - like I said, I don't think it should be doing that, but if it continues with a fresh install, let me know.

Ekkehard

I started fresh with an image I downloaded today.  Unzipped it and did

mkdosfs -F 32 -v -I /dev/sdd
dd bs=4M oflag=sync if=olinuxino_xfce-r18.img of=/dev/sdd

then put it into the board, hooked up monitor, keyboard and mouse (via KVM switch), and powered it up.
After the boot time I saw:
ubuntu login:
but after a second or so that disappeared and I was logged in and getting the prompt
root@ubuntu:~#
with full superuser privileges.  The working directory was /root.  No extra package was installed, no files were changed.  I didn't have that behavior with previous images.  If you don't see that, that's even a lot weirder...

jwischka

That is definitely strange. I certainly don't see that on my updated builds, but I'd have to test on R18. Does there look to be anything in the getty settings for your build that might cause it? Really, really weird.

Ekkehard

not sure I found all getty settings.  There is no file /etc/inittab, which is where I looked first.  But I then looked in /etc/init/tty{x}.conf and there was nothing out of the ordinary in there.  What I also found in /etc/init was an auto-serial-console.conf, which is something I don't have on my host (also running Ubuntu 13.04).  I also checked out a file autogetty in /etc/defaults (which again does not exist on my host).  The nasty AUTOGETTY_ARGS="-n -1 auto-root-login" line which I would have blamed for this weird behavior is commented out and the AUTOGETTY_ARGS is set to the empty string instead.  I even set AUTOGETTY_ARGS explicitly to /bin/login but it didn't run /bin/login at the beginning and still logged me in.

I also took both files (auto-serial-console.conf and autogetty) away - still the same behavior.

Not sure what else I could try.

JohnS

You have no /etc/inittab?  I'd add one.  Maybe init can't decide what runlevel to enter.

Try an earlier build such as R17 and see what it does & what inittab it has.

John

jwischka

Hm... strange. I'd suggest what John said as the next step as well.