Linux 3.7 ALSA sound support for iMX233?

Started by guanx, January 19, 2013, 06:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guanx

I've compiled Linux 3.7.3 but ALSA reports no sound card for OLinuXino micro. Searched the Internet and found that sound is possible with Linux 2.6.35 but did not find where to find relative patches. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

CutDaMuzik

guanx

Thank you for this doc! I will read this and try.

wigyori

Hi,

Did you have any luck with getting sound alive with a 3.x kernel?

Thanks,
-w-

Hellgringo

Hi,

installed arch linux with kernel Linux olinuxino 3.7.2-3-ARCH and I have no sound :(
aplay -L -> no devices
Is it possible to switch back to an older kernel?

Thanks!

Fadil Berisha

Quote from: Hellgringo on May 31, 2013, 03:08:08 PM
Hi,

installed arch linux with kernel Linux olinuxino 3.7.2-3-ARCH and I have no sound :(
aplay -L -> no devices
Is it possible to switch back to an older kernel?

Thanks!

Sound and video are not ported on kernel 3.x. You can switch on old 2.6.x.

Grawp

I'm currently porting the sound driver for 3.9.5.

Fadil Berisha

Quote from: Grawp on June 12, 2013, 03:45:50 PM

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Grawp

Quote from: Fadil Berisha on June 13, 2013, 10:04:31 AM
Quote from: Grawp on June 12, 2013, 03:45:50 PM

Please keep us posted on your progress.

I certainly will. You can expect some report on Monday.

Grawp

Sound driver is almost working. Everything seems to be functioning properly (judging from dumped registers' content while running aplay, volume control, etc..) expect for DMA transfer so there is no input/output yet.

I'm trying to use upstream mxs-pcm.

ggilles

Grawp,
have you made any progress with the sound driver?

I tried porting this driver from 2.6.35 too, but I failed miserably so far (first time trying to hack a kernel module).
I would be interested to try out and help!

Grawp

I'm sorry I completely forgot to report updates here.

I do have working audio output and input, full-duplex! (Just MIC, Line-in doesn't work yet).
I'll be posting patch to mxs ASoC maintainers when the code is clean&pretty enough (that should be next week).

About setting temporary git repository with the driver.... I would have to consult my employer. But I hope that the driver could make it to Linux by the end of the next week or week after next week. I don't know how often maintainers review patches and when they are merged. I have no experience contributing to Linux yet!

PS: The driver is written for 3.10 kernel.

ggilles

This is really great!
Is there any chance of getting a patch before this enters the mainline?

I am looking forward to try this, and I am afraid it will take some time before the driver makes it into linux...

Either way, thank you for your quick answer.

Grawp

Quote from: ggilles on July 04, 2013, 03:24:06 PM
This is really great!
Is there any chance of getting a patch before this enters the mainline?

I am looking forward to try this, and I am afraid it will take some time before the driver makes it into linux...

Either way, thank you for your quick answer.

Well you don't have to wait for mainline kernel. The driver will get to kernel/git/next/linux-next.git and even before that it will land in some development branch affiliated to the MXS or ASoC maintainer. At least I think so. I really don't have any experience with the process.
Just wait for the next week. I'll have more informations. I'm cleaning the code right now anyway.

Fadil Berisha

Quote from: Grawp on July 04, 2013, 02:40:47 PM
I'm sorry I completely forgot to report updates here.

I do have working audio output and input, full-duplex! (Just MIC, Line-in doesn't work yet).
I'll be posting patch to mxs ASoC maintainers when the code is clean&pretty enough (that should be next week).

About setting temporary git repository with the driver.... I would have to consult my employer. But I hope that the driver could make it to Linux by the end of the next week or week after next week. I don't know how often maintainers review patches and when they are merged. I have no experience contributing to Linux yet!

PS: The driver is written for 3.10 kernel.

Very good news.

My suggestion is to publish in http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/olinuxino/ or here in this forum. That will insure some preliminary feadback before sending on mainline. For sure you will get response from experienced imx233 kernel developers. Kernel developers prefer to communicate with email and they do not track web forums.

Alternatively, you can contact directly Fabio Estevan, Freescale kernel developer. He is always ready to help others contributors.

Fadil Berisha