[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwischka

Quote from: nvd on March 19, 2013, 04:08:50 PM
Do you know which headers to use to compile the source against the kernel?

I am talking about "olinuxino_xfce-r15.zip".

"uname -a" is giving:
"3.4.29-jwischka-3.4-video-20130209-R15+ #20 PREEMPT"

Can I get the "github" link for the kernel source, you have used?

Thanks.

It's just the standard linux-sunxi github, with the modifications made for the i2c bus on the Olinuxino-A13.

nvd

OK.
I was looking for sublevel 29 on the "sunxi-3.4" branch.
As it seems, only one sublevel exists; 29.

saand

Hi Jwischka thanks for R18, the included driver works well.

I am noticing the startup of this version and a few before it takes significant time before anything is visible on the screen.

Note sure if others have seen this issue, didn't see any mention in the last few pages of this thread.

this long delay was seen from right after the fresh reimage of the SD card.

running dmesg in the terminal shows there is a long pause or apparent pause between "[15.85] init: plymouth-splash main process (255) terminated with status 2"
then the next line "[141.28] init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (740) terminated with status 1"

just wondering if this is normal or an issue
thanks

iw2lsi

Hello saand

check your network connection editing /etc/interfaces

if I'm not wrong, R18 try to setup wifi...

BTW: what's plymouth for ? some time ago there was a splash manager with this name...
   but I see no splash during boot...

giampaolo

saand

thanks, removed a double entry in my /etc/network/interfaces file now booting is down to 28.2 sec

a bit longer than id like and i can see the main booting has really finished at 12.8 but its a lot better anyway.

for reference the last lines of dmesg are
[12.84] wlan1: associated
[19.74] init: failsafe main process (292) killed by TERM signal
[28.16] init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (788) terminated with status 1
[28.20] init tty1 main process (789) killed by TERM signal

if anyone knows what any of this means or why its chewing up 16 seconds of boot would be nice to know. either way im happy with it at the moment

not sure what plymouth is either

jwischka

Quote from: saand on March 22, 2013, 04:38:45 PM
thanks, removed a double entry in my /etc/network/interfaces file now booting is down to 28.2 sec

a bit longer than id like and i can see the main booting has really finished at 12.8 but its a lot better anyway.

for reference the last lines of dmesg are
[12.84] wlan1: associated
[19.74] init: failsafe main process (292) killed by TERM signal
[28.16] init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (788) terminated with status 1
[28.20] init tty1 main process (789) killed by TERM signal

if anyone knows what any of this means or why its chewing up 16 seconds of boot would be nice to know. either way im happy with it at the moment

not sure what plymouth is either

It's a splash screen, basically.

Have you installed any additional packages?

iw2lsi

Hi jwischka

if plymouth is, as supposed, a splash screen... where is is ? I see no splash during boot... at least
not on LCD... can I safetly remove it ?

for saand: my R18 boot in less than 15 seconds... so maybe there is something wrong somewhere on your setup...

best regards

Giampaolo

saand

The additional packages are i think gtk.

i only reimaged the SD card with R18 today. plugged it in, it took a long time to show screen to start up but there was a network interface defined by default so that would explain it being slow initially.

i got network going then tried to start installing GTK so i could start developing.

thats all i have done with it so far.

I am happy with the speed of it currently just thought id mention in the event it could be speed up for others

saand

thanks iw2lsi.

good to know others are getting fast booting.

I also do not see a splash screen. maybe its just not configured and therefore black, i do see the screen start up and turn on the backlight as soon as the system is powered.

I suspect based on the error msgs i listed that some settings are not working well for me as you suggest. Wonder if anyone has any ideas how to debug this. dmesg doesn't give me too much info

cedomir

Hi all,

I am trying to recompile kernel to enable LCD display rotation (we need "portrait" mode). I've read this thread and all available tutorials, but I cannot reproduce kernel on my computer what works with LCD. I use (linux mint 14) arm-linux-gnueabihf  version 4.7, script.bin for LCD 800x480 (which perfectly works with r18 kernel for example), .config form this distro and sources from both linux-sunxi branch 3.4 and jwischka git repo. Only difference I could point out is i2c patch that I'm not able to locate yet.

I'm aware that most of you do not own LCD but any hint is highly appreciated.

BR, Cedomir

BJFreeman

I have successfully booted R18
I am unable to get the wifi working.
I got it working under Debian SD.
using the same steps I can not get an IP.
I am using WEP 128.
I do a iwlist wlan1 scan and see my AP
I have modified the interfaces file and
did the manual steps.

any Ideas?
Fulltimer since 89

jwischka

First idea would be to make sure you have your key entered correctly (I know you've probably already checked that). Specifically, I'd make sure you don't have a space after that.

Next, I'd try removing encryption briefly and see if that fixes the problem.

Finally, while I don't tend to do this sort of thing, I'd recommend going to WPA, unless you have a legacy device that will only do WEP. Given the well known and documented vulnerabilities in WEP, it's a good idea not to use it.

BJFreeman

sorry I forgot to update.
wicd finally listed my aP so was able to configure for Wpa.
now it boots with the wifi on
Fulltimer since 89

aquarat

Anybody have any idea how can I access the GPIOs ? (on the Pi it's under /sys/class/gpio/)