[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzibus

oops I forgot about sudo before shutdown and su -  Doh

but "sudo shutdown -r now" isn't causing a restart but a complete shutdown

ive gotten the keyboard set to my local def and now I've to get wpa2 working... now that sounds like its going to be a bigger challenge :D

(upload to mega is still at 66% :| )

thanks for your help jwischka

jwischka

Not a problem - WPA2 should work fine - I am running it here, and it should be as simple as changing the SSID/key in /etc/network/interfaces

You can do sudo reboot, and that will get you a restart.

Looking into why apache is being annoying, but no love yet.

Quote from: buzibus on January 24, 2013, 03:07:27 AM

oops I forgot about sudo before shutdown and su -  Doh

but "sudo shutdown -r now" isn't causing a restart but a complete shutdown

ive gotten the keyboard set to my local def and now I've to get wpa2 working... now that sounds like its going to be a bigger challenge :D

(upload to mega is still at 66% :| )

thanks for your help jwischka

buzibus

weird... wlan2 does not appear anymore if I type ipconfig -a

idk what I did, the settings in /etc/network/interfaces appear correct.... dunno :(

I'm a bit tired, I think im going to sleep and try again in the morning

so... here's a FASTER download link for the R10 video image:

https://mega.co.nz/#!QNtWXbQZ!cdw3zQ_ZgdeE5By_ogGgECKq9486CtG65NT7yYqhDRQ

atal

The revision Rxx are built for A13 board revision B.
Did anybody test it on the board revision C? Does it work?

Thanks.

vstef_is

Yup, I've got a Rev.C Board and it works great!

Thank you very much! Wireless seems very stable (built in).

One question - it seems to be missing sun4i_gpio? I've also got some troubles getting an USB webcam to work, but I haven't done much in this direction yet.

jwischka

Gpio may have been lost when I deleted everything. Will look into it and recompile. There may not be webcam support at the moment either, but I can add it if necessary. I hope.

Quote from: vstef_is on January 24, 2013, 10:50:33 AM
Yup, I've got a Rev.C Board and it works great!

Thank you very much! Wireless seems very stable (built in).

One question - it seems to be missing sun4i_gpio? I've also got some troubles getting an USB webcam to work, but I haven't done much in this direction yet.

buzibus

Thanks jwischka my board wifi is working.

Idk what happened but today when I booted the card Wifi was working without having to change anything. just worked whe turned on.

I just hope nothing is wrong with the board because yesterday Wifi wasn't working in Debian or Android

Has anyone tested the download link for the image I posted earlier ?

drspastic

its getting near to perfection. i stuck the .deb firmware on for my rt3070usb and internet is fast and stable.
i really like this one!

but where is the audio? i cant find any audio devices. pity because i intend using audio in/out for amateur radio as a data modem. i loaded fldigi which usually finds any audio device but it listed nothing.

also, i wondered if you disabled the gpu, if so what do i need to do to get faster graphics. i so far only tested graphics on youtube in iceweasel and bzflags tank game and its very jumpy. i assume that when i get the audio up this will become an issue with the spectrum display and waterfall charts i need for the ham radio stuff. im assuming the gpu should deal with a lot of the fast fourier transforms.

otherwise the v10 image is crisp and fast, the best yet by far. and thanks for the checksum, my first download was very corrupted.

well its now 2am and time for bed. spent 4 hours seeing what goodies works from synaptic. chromium browser dont by the way but that sucks anyhow.

its a buzz to see this board browsing the net properly. more power to you!

jwischka

I'll check on the audio and video issues... they may require a kernel adjustment.

Glad it's working well for you.

Quote from: drspastic on January 25, 2013, 02:03:41 AM
its getting near to perfection. i stuck the .deb firmware on for my rt3070usb and internet is fast and stable.
i really like this one!

but where is the audio? i cant find any audio devices. pity because i intend using audio in/out for amateur radio as a data modem. i loaded fldigi which usually finds any audio device but it listed nothing.

also, i wondered if you disabled the gpu, if so what do i need to do to get faster graphics. i so far only tested graphics on youtube in iceweasel and bzflags tank game and its very jumpy. i assume that when i get the audio up this will become an issue with the spectrum display and waterfall charts i need for the ham radio stuff. im assuming the gpu should deal with a lot of the fast fourier transforms.

otherwise the v10 image is crisp and fast, the best yet by far. and thanks for the checksum, my first download was very corrupted.

well its now 2am and time for bed. spent 4 hours seeing what goodies works from synaptic. chromium browser dont by the way but that sucks anyhow.

its a buzz to see this board browsing the net properly. more power to you!

drspastic

i will have a poke about tomorrow just to see if i can rule out my usual stupidity. i just tried freetuxtv and the video quality was quite smooth and watchable. also the deinterlace settings worked (i assume this must mean the gpu works after all?) im not quite sure the appropriate commands to enquire yet as to the status of gpu and audio devs. thats tomorows lesson. i just looked through /dev and it does look rather empty regards sound stuff i expect to see.

buzibus

anyone else experiencing problems in xfce ?

im connecting with VNC and in Wicd network manager it says: no networks found

if I try to start the browser I get "failed to execute default browser" and "input/output error"

I've checked and the browser is "debian sensible" on default applications

EDIT: got wireless to work in xfce...had to change interface to wlan2 (doh again)

drspastic

Quote from: buzibus on January 25, 2013, 03:19:38 AM
anyone else experiencing problems in xfce ?

im connecting with VNC and in Wicd network manager it says: no networks found

if I try to start the browser I get "failed to execute default browser" and "input/output error"

I've checked and the browser is "debian sensible" on default applications

EDIT: got wireless to work in xfce...had to change interface to wlan2 (doh again)

apt-get iceweasel

buzibus

Quote from: drspastic on January 25, 2013, 03:55:25 AM
apt-get iceweasel

first first I had thought sensible-browser was a browser by itself, then i was trying chromium but unfortunately it just spelt out "segmentation fault"

thanks im posting from my olinuxino board now :) - i have not enough gui linux experience for this, im more of a command line kind of person hehehe ;)

jwischka

Quote from: drspastic on January 25, 2013, 02:30:19 AM
i will have a poke about tomorrow just to see if i can rule out my usual stupidity. i just tried freetuxtv and the video quality was quite smooth and watchable. also the deinterlace settings worked (i assume this must mean the gpu works after all?) im not quite sure the appropriate commands to enquire yet as to the status of gpu and audio devs. thats tomorows lesson. i just looked through /dev and it does look rather empty regards sound stuff i expect to see.

I believe the Mali should be enabled, at least as a module. If support is not compiled into the kernel at all, you get the headless kernel with the full 512 of memory. I do recall at some point I added various audio drivers, and had some compile issues on some of them, so then took them out. It's possible that I just broke something along the way, so I'll try to look at that tomorrow.

My board does not have super functional VGA, so it's hard(er) for me to debug video problems. I suspect some of the video issues you're seeing on YouTube probably boils down to 1) I don't think we have full acceleration support in the sunxi kernel for the Mali yet, and 2) decoding FLV's (or WebM) is just a reasonably processor intensive task in general, so it may be tough for the A13 to keep up with, even given the decoding.

Given the lack of people commenting on Debian/Ubuntu issue, I will probably move to Ubuntu in the next build because it is my personal preference. In that vein, does anyone have any packages that they would specifically like to see in the base release?

drspastic

hmmm so if mali 400 aint fully implemented in the kernel then i guess allwinner are trying to push us all to android....no thanks allwinner.

as for ubuntu, i used it for many years but gave up when it started getting really fat and lazy like windows.
i imagine switching now will put you back a few paces, it it worth it? besides debian is a very standard base with lots of support and more likely to fit with industrial use.

a good one to play with if you want to expand is slack. just for pure stability.

both deb and buntu have a really fat bag of apps available , i hear rumours that ubuntu changed something with the latest releases that make package management incompatible with earlier staff and deb.
maybe that wont affect arm repos. im no expert.

for my penny, you invested so much time getting so far with deb v10 image it might be best to stay debian.

and hope allwinner cough up some more code for the mali400