Availability of the am3352 SOM?

Started by jmyreen, July 16, 2014, 05:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farlane

Quote from: olimex on July 27, 2014, 09:54:38 PM
How do you know these are working modules?Do you use these? What Linux Kernel they run? What features are supported by the kernel and drivers?
I'm assuming they are working because they are actually sold. Maybe you should ask one of these companies for a bit of help?

Could you also react to the other points? I find it rather typical that you pick out a single remark and start nitpicking over that instead of just openly discussing all the concerns i'm raising. (it's not a fight you know, there is no winning or losing here)

As i said, it is your prerogative to approach such a project the 'we might get it done, or we might not' just be clear about it.

jlucius

Quote from: olimex on July 27, 2014, 07:10:19 PM
Quote from: jlucius on July 27, 2014, 06:26:45 PM
Well these are commercial support engineers, but it also links to Sitara Forum (http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/default.aspx)

Ever tried asking there? Looks very active.

I have read few comments about TI official SDK being used obsolete kernel and lack of support, compared to BB community Linux distribution, this is why we looked at BB forums first

The latest SDK is from March 2014 and is based on Linux 3.12. See
http://www.ti.com/tool/linuxezsdk-sitara

I would stop trying to get help through the Beagleboard and get directly to TI. Any larger production company should be able to get help via a TI field engineer.

I just got a Beaglebone Black and will try a few things with that, but it would really be nice having the Olimex board.

But you also must understand that people will try do do business with your (olimex) stuff and in that case people have to rely on you to deliver stuff at a schedule and with continuous quality. And the SOMs are most likly used in business products. I think that´s what makes farlane angry.

Noy

Hello,
I'm studying Electrical Engineering and currently I'm writing my Master Thesis. I planned some Time ago to use your AM335-SOM and designed a own Baseboard using your Baseboard Sources. Unfortunatly you didn't sold me some of your Boards:P ...even after I explained my Problem and that I would buy them without Software Support (I called you in Bulgarie)... So I have to change to the SOM from Phytec. They are working correctly. Phytec is using PTXDIST to build the Kernel. Their free downloadable BSP is using Linux 3.2. I managed it to change everything to my own Baseboard. Only my Ethernet Port isn't working currently but I'm using a TLK110 Chip and until now I didn't found Information about integrating this Chip in Linux correctly (it is only for Future use in my Projekt , so it isn't a must have for me). Phytec is using a SMCS Chip and it works. So it could not be a Hard thing to adopt their BSP to your Board even I managed it within 1 Month and I never build a Kernel before...
So I think you should Download PTXDIST and the BSP from Phytec and build a Linux. Then I'm still interested in your Boards... (I would buy some also with no Software Support!!!!!)
Try this Link:
http://www.phytec.de/de/support/faq/faq-phycore-AM335x.html and http://phytec.com/wiki/images/c/c4/L-775e_3.pdf
If you want, I can send you my Boardfile, my Schematics and Layout from my Baseboard.

olimex

Hi Noy
Thanks for the tip and I really sorry for your problems around your thesis
We also have a bit of progress with AM3352-SOM meanwhile (it become the longest developed board in our company).
After several e-mail exchange with TI support we figured out that TI SDK is quite deep binded with the TI PMU chip and the Kernel have quite a number of calls to it and expect the PMU to reply. We do not use PMU and there boot hangs.
Dimitar Gamishev made dummmy I2C device on the same address which always answer OK instead the PMU and now the Kernel from TI SDK boots and we have everything working exept the second LAN.
I hope we will be able to run the second LAN in the next days and finally move AM3352-SOM forward.
Of course the current solution is ugly, but at least prove our hardware works so far.
Our Kernel patching knowledge do not allow to make elegant solution for the moment, but I hope once we release these there will be good people from the community which will help :)
Tsvetan

Noy

It is an "ugly" Solution, but even a Solution. So is it possible to buy some Boards in the near Future?

Hint:
Phytec is also providing "Dummy-Regulators" in their Board-File. I think it is caused to some similar Problems, which you have.

farlane

Quote from: Noy on September 09, 2014, 06:44:31 PM
Hello,
Only my Ethernet Port isn't working currently but I'm using a TLK110 Chip and until now I didn't found Information about integrating this Chip in Linux correctly (it is only for Future use in my Projekt , so it isn't a must have for me).
I would advice against using a TLK110 PHY, we had some problems with it in combination with some 1Gb switches when the device is unpowered. TI herself indicates that there is a recommended replacement part ( http://www.ti.com/product/dp83848i/description&lpos=See_Also_Container&lid=Alternative_Devices )
This device also is a bit simpler from a software point of view with respect to link detection.

Just to let you know, YMMV.

Noy

Thank you for this Information. Do you know if the TQFP Chips are Pin-Compatible? Cause my PCBs are already produced for the TLK110.

bruceuk

>> now the Kernel from TI SDK boots and we have everything working exept the second LAN.
WOOHOO GOOD news....ETA on rolling out the first batch? Most people probably don't need the second LAN.

Would be interesting to run a poll on what about the am3352 has people so interested and if an All Winner SOM the same size as the am3352 would attract the same attention.... ie A10-SOM?

jlucius

Quote from: bruceuk on September 16, 2014, 07:18:52 PM

>> now the Kernel from TI SDK boots and we have everything working exept the second LAN.
WOOHOO GOOD news....ETA on rolling out the first batch? Most people probably don't need the second LAN.

Would be interesting to run a poll on what about the am3352 has people so interested and if an All Winner SOM the same size as the am3352 would attract the same attention.... ie A10-SOM?

But there are already two Allwinner SOMs, the A13 and A20. For me it´s the TI mainline linux support and the two LAN interfaces I am interested in.

farlane

Quote from: Noy on September 15, 2014, 09:32:32 AM
Thank you for this Information. Do you know if the TQFP Chips are Pin-Compatible? Cause my PCBs are already produced for the TLK110.
Yes they are pin compatible :) For us it just required to do adjust the link detection code a bit.

jlucius

Quote from: olimex on September 10, 2014, 04:04:41 PM
Dimitar Gamishev made dummmy I2C device on the same address which always answer OK instead the PMU and now the Kernel from TI SDK boots and we have everything working exept the second LAN.
I hope we will be able to run the second LAN in the next days and finally move AM3352-SOM forward.

Any news?

bruceuk

Any chance we could get some form of ETA on these boards? Maybe a smaller quantity run at a higher cost?

bruceuk

Scratch that.....my A13-SOM arrived, don't think I'll need the A3352-SOM anymore ...this little A13-SOM is VERY VERY cool.

Although not sure about the processor package, think BGA would be more robust. The pitch on the pins is ridiculous :)

kjetilh

What is status on the AM3352 SOM?
I'm developing a system utilizing AM335x PRU for wide bus high-speed data transfers, at the same time I need HDMI which makes the BeagleBone pretty useless: PRU1 pins is taken by HDMI/LCD, and BBB uses PRU0 pins for HDMI ctrl SPI1, which I hope to relocate to free PRU0. I can develop without screen on BBB but final product need HDMI. Hence my search for a more flexible SOM like yours.

edit:typos

jmyreen

Quote from: kjetilh on January 07, 2015, 02:12:00 PM
What is status on the AM3352 SOM?
I'm developing a system utilizing AM335x PRU for wide bus high-speed data transfers,

The AM3352 (nor the AM3354) does not contain a PRU, sorry.