Availability of the am3352 SOM?

Started by jmyreen, July 16, 2014, 05:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farlane

Quote from: JohnS on July 26, 2014, 01:44:00 PM
Please say which are the successful ones.

John
Phytec, Variscite, Emtrion all have AM335x based modules and there are others, they're quite easily found when using google for example.

Quote from: olimex on July 26, 2014, 05:40:38 PM
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1323198
Ehhm yes. I am sure you have some sort of point but it eludes me. Could you explain what you are trying to say?

jlucius

Quote from: farlane on July 27, 2014, 10:06:41 AM
Quote from: olimex on July 26, 2014, 05:40:38 PM
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1323198
Ehhm yes. I am sure you have some sort of point but it eludes me. Could you explain what you are trying to say?

That was just a reply to the discussion of TI and Freescale exiting the mobile CPU market now adding broadcom as well.

farlane

Quote from: jlucius on July 27, 2014, 10:29:49 AM
That was just a reply to the discussion of TI and Freescale exiting the mobile CPU market now adding broadcom as well.
But that is completely irrelevant to the topic, the Sitara isn't even a 'monile CPU' but mostly positioned as an industrial controller.

IMHO Olimex is trying to make excuses for not properly engineering this module. My opinion is that Olimex has to do her work properly or stop development of this module altogether and be honest to the customers ( and herself )

Madjidlho

Quote from: farlane on July 27, 2014, 12:27:08 PM
Quote from: jlucius on July 27, 2014, 10:29:49 AM
But that is completely irrelevant to the topic, the Sitara isn't even a 'monile CPU' but mostly positioned as an industrial controller.

IMHO Olimex is trying to make excuses for not properly engineering this module. My opinion is that Olimex has to do her work properly or stop development of this module altogether and be honest to the customers ( and herself )

+1  freescale and ti and atmel are much more industrial and used in the industry! Automotive field for instance.

jlucius

Quote from: farlane on July 27, 2014, 12:27:08 PM

Sorry I think it was me dragging this thread to an off-topic discussion, but it was very interesting.

For an answer see post #2 here from olimex where they say that there are problems and they don´t get proper support.

I am also still interest in this board ...

farlane

Quote from: jlucius on July 27, 2014, 03:53:17 PM
For an answer see post #2 here from olimex where they say that there are problems and they don´t get proper support.
I'm not buying that, why would TI not support a customer which potentially could sell a lot of their CPUs? I think Olimex just isn't motivated enough to make this thing work. And that is their prerogative but just stop making a fool of yourself and your customers and abandon the damm thing.

Seriously, more than 1.5 years for designing a module (which is still not working aparently) is just ridiculous and you can't simply blame that on TI.

olimex

farlane, indeed we work on this modues with low priority for the reasons above, did you ever got Linux related support from TI? who is your contact there?

farlane

Quote from: olimex on July 27, 2014, 05:27:16 PM
farlane, indeed we work on this modues with low priority for the reasons above, did you ever got Linux related support from TI? who is your contact there?
You work on this module with low priority because 'more interesting things' come around as you have told me back in June 2013. Don't blame your unwillingness to take this project seriously on any other than yourself because that would be nonsense.

I have no contact for Linux related support @TI because we don't use TI but maybe you could have a look at http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Consultants_and_Commercial_Linux_Providers and check if any of those can help out? You could in any case bring your hardware designs online and see if any of your users could help out with that or has any tips to improve that side of things. OSHW design and all ...

jlucius

Quote from: farlane on July 27, 2014, 05:58:05 PM
Quote from: olimex on July 27, 2014, 05:27:16 PM
You work on this module with low priority because 'more interesting things' come around as you have told me back in June 2013. Don't blame your unwillingness to take this project seriously on any other than yourself because that would be nonsense.

I have no contact for Linux related support @TI because we don't use TI but maybe you could have a look at http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Consultants_and_Commercial_Linux_Providers and check if any of those can help out? You could in any case bring your hardware designs online and see if any of your users could help out with that or has any tips to improve that side of things. OSHW design and all ...

Well these are commercial support engineers, but it also links to Sitara Forum (http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/default.aspx)

Ever tried asking there? Looks very active.

olimex

Quote from: farlane on July 27, 2014, 05:58:05 PM

aah this explains your attitude above :)
sorry to have dissapointed you but this is something we do for fun, so as you wrote above if you want to work now with AM335x modules there are plenty of offerings most of them with commercial support.
I can't tell you when this prject will be finished it may be next month or next year, everything depend on if we can get help for the Linux support, so far we have got none although we searched mostly from the community around BB as some of these people we know and see what they did

olimex

Quote from: jlucius on July 27, 2014, 06:26:45 PM
Well these are commercial support engineers, but it also links to Sitara Forum (http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/default.aspx)

Ever tried asking there? Looks very active.

I have read few comments about TI official SDK being used obsolete kernel and lack of support, compared to BB community Linux distribution, this is why we looked at BB forums first

JohnS

Quote from: farlane on July 27, 2014, 10:06:41 AM
Phytec, Variscite, Emtrion all have AM335x based modules and there are others, they're quite easily found when using google for example.
It's completely news to me that these are "successful".  Really???

Frankly they don't seem to me to be so, but YMMV.

John

farlane

Quote from: olimex on July 27, 2014, 07:07:34 PM
aah this explains your attitude above :)
sorry to have dissapointed you but this is something we do for fun, so as you wrote above if you want to work now with AM335x modules there are plenty of offerings most of them with commercial support.
I can't tell you when this prject will be finished it may be next month or next year, everything depend on if we can get help for the Linux support, so far we have got none although we searched mostly from the community around BB as some of these people we know and see what they did
If my 'attitude' is that i am criticizing the fact that Olimex does not seem to take it's projects seriously then yes.

I can't tell you when this prject will be finished it may be next month or next year
Maybe you should inform your users a bit better that you have this 'attitude' about projects you announce and avoid this weird situation altogether. Keep it fun for your customers too so to say.

Quote from: JohnS on July 27, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
It's completely news to me that these are "successful".  Really???

Frankly they don't seem to me to be so, but YMMV.
Successful in the sense that they are actual working modules. If they're commercially succesful i would not know.

olimex

Quote from: farlane on July 27, 2014, 08:18:48 PM
Successful in the sense that they are actual working modules.

How do you know these are working modules?Do you use these? What Linux Kernel they run? What features are supported by the kernel and drvers?