[solved] Need help picking the right device :)

Started by unicorn, June 19, 2019, 05:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unicorn

Hello!

I am new to all of this SBC stuff, so before ordering something from halfway across Europe with fees, I would appreciate if someone can help me pick the right device :)

I am looking to build a little server for serving a static website (like https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com, also running on A20 OLinuXino) as well as hosting a personal cloud and/or collaborative text editor.

Since there are several options and accessories available, I wanted to ask about them:

1. What would be a usecase in which eMMC or NAND storage would be useful for me? What could I use it for?
2. Is there a qualitative difference between the regular and IND version that might make it worth choosing an IND model (e.g. for longer lifespan)?
3. I might want to do other projects requiring a WiFi connection, so which WiFi solution would work best in a wooden enclosure? I have heard that wood is pretty good at shielding :)
4. Is it worth getting a USB cable if I intend on driving the board using the 5V port and can use Ethernet?
5. Are there any other things you would recommend to get for other projects to save future delivery costs, such as connectors?

Thank you very much in advance!

Unicorn

LubOlimex

Hey,

For hosting purposes I'd recommend A20 boards because of the SATA option. If you have the space, A20-OLinuXino-MICRO is a good option. It is slightly bigger but the connectors are 0.1" step which makes it easier to interface. The other popular choice is A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 which is smaller. I can give you more details if you tell me which board exactly do you have in mind.

Answering some of the questions, starting from the most important points:

You can't power the board properly via USB cable, even if it is externally powered USB. You need external adapter fitting the board's power jack. We sell such suitable for not very demanding setups, make sure to first identify if the board that you liked requires 5V or 12V of voltage and get the appropriate one. Since the jack is wide spread you can also find suitable ones from other shops or local electronics stores.

It is almost mandatory to also have a USB-serial cable. If you have experience with other SBC designs you probably already have one, but in case you don't consider USB-Serial-Cable-F or BB-CH340T + jumper wires, any electronics shops might have alternatives.

If you want flash memory, get the eMMC version, since NAND is not well supported in mainline kernel.

If you don't expect low temperatures, you don't need the IND version. Get the IND version if you expect temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius.

For WIFI most USB-WIFI modules that are supported by Linux would be a good deal. I'd recommend MOD-WIFI-AR9271, a product that we distribute. Also consider USB-WIFI adapters with antenna that might go outside of the box.

Consider a fitting box, if available.

Consider Li-Po battery, as a back-up battery in case the power goes off. A Li-Po battery can keep the board fully operational for quite some time.

If you want to add a "laptop" SATA hard disk, consider SATA-CABLE-SET: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Components/Cables/SATA-CABLE-SET/

There are a few guides on setting a web-server and cloud with A20 around this forum, make sure to search for it.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

unicorn

Thank you a ton for the elaborate response!

Quote from: LubOlimex on June 19, 2019, 10:14:14 PM
For hosting purposes I'd recommend A20 boards because of the SATA option. If you have the space, A20-OLinuXino-MICRO is a good option. It is slightly bigger but the connectors are 0.1" step which makes it easier to interface. The other popular choice is A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 which is smaller. I can give you more details if you tell me which board exactly do you have in mind.

I was thinking about the A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 because of the gigabit ethernet port, as far as I can see the MICRO only has 100Mbit so I would pick the LIME2 over that for server purposes I think. :)

You need external adapter fitting the board's power jack. We sell such suitable for not very demanding setups, make sure to first identify if the board that you liked requires 5V or 12V of voltage and get the appropriate one.

I assume the SY0605E would be the one for the LIME2? Prefer to buy the non-China version because of working conditions :)

It is almost mandatory to also have a USB-serial cable. If you have experience with other SBC designs you probably already have one, but in case you don't consider USB-Serial-Cable-F or BB-CH340T + jumper wires, any electronics shops might have alternatives.

Added to cart, thank you!

If you want flash memory, get the eMMC version, since NAND is not well supported in mainline kernel.

Would I be able to install Linux on the eMMC? Have not found much information on it, user manual didn't give any clues either :)

Consider a fitting box, if available.

Will build one ;)

Consider Li-Po battery, as a back-up battery in case the power goes off. A Li-Po battery can keep the board fully operational for quite some time.

Would the connector of the board be compatible with other Li-Po batteries too? Prefer to not buy a brand new one given how wasteful and resource intensive they are :)

Also, got plenty of SATA cables, so that won't be a problem.

There are a few guides on setting a web-server and cloud with A20 around this forum, make sure to search for it.

I will, thank you a lot for all the information!

LubOlimex

Consider that for LIME2 boards we have this cool metal box in different colors: https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/BOXES/BOX-LIME/

QuoteWould I be able to install Linux on the eMMC? Have not found much information on it, user manual didn't give any clues either

It is possible. With latest Armbian-based image you type nand-sata-install in the terminal and there is such an option. Technically the boot is stored on the SPI memory and the rest on the eMMC but it should boot without SD card.

QuoteWould the connector of the board be compatible with other Li-Po batteries too?

Usually. However, some Li-Po batteries have the + and - reversed. Make sure to identify the + and - of each wire before connecting a Li-Po battery to the board. Also consider that we have Li-Po batteries in our store. Something like this is good enough for shorter power-downs: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Power/BATTERY-LIPO1400mAh/

QuoteAlso, got plenty of SATA cables, so that won't be a problem.

Make sure to check the product page of SATA-CABLE-SET since there is a power cable that allows you to power 5V hard-disk via the board. It might be a bit harder to craft that one.

unicorn

Quote from: LubOlimex on June 20, 2019, 12:35:55 PM
Consider that for LIME2 boards we have this cool metal box in different colors

I am planning to make a nice wooden one myself, as a little project. I prefer doing things myself/by hand if I possibly can, it's more fun ;)

It is possible. With latest Armbian-based image you type nand-sata-install in the terminal and there is such an option. Technically the boot is stored on the SPI memory and the rest on the eMMC but it should boot without SD card.

Thanks for the heads up! Are there any limitations or problems with this? I think I read about some related issue somewhere on here :)

However, some Li-Po batteries have the + and - reversed.

I will watch out for that, I may buy one of your batteries afterall though :)

Make sure to check the product page of SATA-CABLE-SET since there is a power cable that allows you to power 5V hard-disk via the board. It might be a bit harder to craft that one.

Thank you so much for reminding me, my brain blanked and I forgot about the power cable :D

LubOlimex

QuoteThanks for the heads up! Are there any limitations or problems with this? I think I read about some related issue somewhere on here

It should work fine. Especially if you stick with the official images, since SPI/eMMC boot is something that we test before releasing a new image.

unicorn

Quote from: LubOlimex on June 21, 2019, 09:20:25 AM
It should work fine. Especially if you stick with the official images, since SPI/eMMC boot is something that we test before releasing a new image.

Thank you for all the help, will be placing my order! And great work you are doing, great hardware you are making, keep it up :)