Another case of unable to boot from SD

Started by ehj666, January 13, 2013, 10:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebswed

Hi there.

Maybe a stupid question from a newbie :-)
But, do you experience the same problem with a different image?
The Linaro image works for me with both USB keyboard and mouse connected during start up with the default 12V Omilex power supply.

Its probably a stupid advise but what to loose by trying right :-)

Kind regards,
Sebastiaan

jwischka

Frustrated is probably a good word - and I can understand. I've just done this enough to know that a lot of times funny stuff goes on with power supplies, and their steady-state ratings do not mean that they have any kind of stiffness at all when loads come on.

I will admit that it seems far fetched that this board should be pulling any kind of power that would depress a supply, but it seemed the best thing to try. For my part, I'm running on a hard drive supply, which is enough to spin a full-sized disk, and I haven't encountered any problems. I did encounter problems trying to power via USB, which is why I went to a dedicated supply. Combined with John's experience via the battery... you see where this is going. But since you have tried another supply, then we can probably rule that out.

You didn't mention trying console via UART and disconnecting the VGA - I'm just wondering if that would give a different output. This is a wifi board, correct? And this one still boots into Android fine, correct?

I could try building you a different u-boot, but at this point I'm not sure if that would help or not. As I recall, there aren't a ton of options in there that should be changeable. I'm willing to look into it as a next step, if the UART isn't working.

JohnS

Quote from: sebswed on January 19, 2013, 05:57:57 PM
Hi there.

Maybe a stupid question from a newbie :-)
But, do you experience the same problem with a different image?
The Linaro image works for me with both USB keyboard and mouse connected during start up with the default 12V Omilex power supply.

Its probably a stupid advise but what to loose by trying right :-)

Kind regards,
Sebastiaan

No Linux image boots for me (except that all the ones I had worked when I had a LiPo battery connected).

Please - which Linaro image do you mean?  Do you have a URL?

John

sebswed

Hello John.

I use the image inside olinuxino_linaro_alip_12_11.zip on:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlRm5ZSmZtUXQyMTg/edit

Kind regards,
Sebastiaan

jwischka

I've uploaded a new image with a recompiled u-boot - there were several changes in the code that I pulled from git, though I didn't go through them individually. Might see if they solve your issues. R7, in the other thread.

JohnS

Quote from: sebswed on January 19, 2013, 06:36:10 PM
Hello John.

I use the image inside olinuxino_linaro_alip_12_11.zip on:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlRm5ZSmZtUXQyMTg/edit

Kind regards,
Sebastiaan
Thanks.  Now I find the Micro doesn't have the AX209 so I suspect I can't use that kernel on my WiFi board.

John

JohnS

I've built U-Boot with md5sum support and can see the kernel is loaded correctly from my SD card so it's not the card to blame for the failure to boot.  Progress!

Looks ever more like a hardware fault.

(The Micro's SD image doesn't work but that may be to do with the AX209.)

John