[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1968

Hello jwischka,

Now with the new image my problem with wlan is now solved and vga is running.
Thank you for your work.

How could i change between vga and 7"lcd?

Best regards michael

jwischka

Quote from: mike1968 on January 13, 2013, 10:53:02 PM
Hello jwischka,

Thank you for your work.

Best regards michael

You'll need to copy a different script.bin file over to the first partition. It's a fairly simple process, if you have one that works. I think one should be in the wiki, or you can make your own.

vinifr

Quote from: jwischka on December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM
Things I'd like to do:
Figure out how to get more free memory. We have 512MB, why is only ~320MB showing up?

A portion of the memory is reserved for the kernel and what remains is for user space.

mike1968

Quote from: jwischka on January 13, 2013, 11:23:13 PM
Quote from: mike1968 on January 13, 2013, 10:53:02 PM
Hello jwischka,

Thank you for your work.

Best regards michael

You'll need to copy a different script.bin file over to the first partition. It's a fairly simple process, if you have one that works. I think one should be in the wiki, or you can make your own.

Thx lcd script works fine

jwischka

Quote from: viniciusfre on January 13, 2013, 11:56:21 PM
Quote from: jwischka on December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM
Things I'd like to do:
Figure out how to get more free memory. We have 512MB, why is only ~320MB showing up?

A portion of the memory is reserved for the kernel and what remains is for user space.

It's actually more complicated than that. 64MB is reserved for the graphics processor, ~20MB is reserved for the LCD, and about 80MB is reserved for "VE". Additionally the u-boot also was shorting us by about 60MB, so that's been taken care of at least.

Nonetheless, 80MB is absurdly large to be reserved for the kernel. I'd like to see about cutting that down, when I have free time.

Ekkehard

I just unpacked my A13-OLinuXino (w/o WiFi) for the first time an put on this new olinuxino_xfce-20130109.img using an 8 GB SD card.  It booted out-of-the-box!  Thanks jwischka!!  Keyboard, mouse, and VGA worked just fine, in both the initial CLI and X. 

The only thing I could not get to work is the USB/Ethernet adapter.  I uncommented the eth0 stanza in /etc/network/interface and even added an eth1 and eth2 stanza (I read on this forum that the default is eth2) - did not help.  lsusb is not installed, so I can't check that, but every unplugging and plugging in of this Ethernet adapter is faithfully reported in syslog (as "new high speed USB device number xx using sw-ehci").  lsmod shows no kernel modules at all, just the heading, which I thought was odd, as I'm used to see a ton of modules there.  ifconfig -a reports the loopback "lo" and a "tunl0" (which I have never seen before on my main system), but no eth0, eth1, or eth2.

So surely, I am doing something wrong - but what???

maurosk

I have the same problem... with this version the usb-ethernet don't work. I have installed usbutils, and with lsusb i find the ethernet. It's name is ASIX Electronics.
Searching on google i find this:
http://linux.m2osw.com/asix-electronics-ax88178-driver

Now i try to install this module following this tutorial, if it work, i update this post... See you later

jwischka

Quote from: Ekkehard on January 17, 2013, 01:06:23 AM
I just unpacked my A13-OLinuXino (w/o WiFi) for the first time an put on this new olinuxino_xfce-20130109.img using an 8 GB SD card.  It booted out-of-the-box!  Thanks jwischka!!  Keyboard, mouse, and VGA worked just fine, in both the initial CLI and X. 

The only thing I could not get to work is the USB/Ethernet adapter.  I uncommented the eth0 stanza in /etc/network/interface and even added an eth1 and eth2 stanza (I read on this forum that the default is eth2) - did not help.  lsusb is not installed, so I can't check that, but every unplugging and plugging in of this Ethernet adapter is faithfully reported in syslog (as "new high speed USB device number xx using sw-ehci").  lsmod shows no kernel modules at all, just the heading, which I thought was odd, as I'm used to see a ton of modules there.  ifconfig -a reports the loopback "lo" and a "tunl0" (which I have never seen before on my main system), but no eth0, eth1, or eth2.

So surely, I am doing something wrong - but what???

I believe USB ethernet is enabled in the kernel, but I may need to check to make absolutely certain. I'll try to do that later today, though things are a bit crazy at work, so it may get pushed to the back burner.

maurosk

jwischka i try to recompile modules, but there are problem with kernel headers.

After make command this is the output:

olinuxino@debian:~/AX88772B_772A_760_772_178_LINUX_Driver_v4.4.1_Source$ make
make -C /lib/modules/3.0.57jwischka-20130109+/build SUBDIRS=/home/olinuxino/AX88772B_772A_760_772_178_LINUX_Driver_v4.4.1_Source modules
make: *** /lib/modules/3.0.57jwischka-20130109+/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [default] Error 2

it can't find /lib/modules/3.0.57jwischka-20130109+/build

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    32 Jan  9  2013 build -> /home/jeff/Documents/linux-sunxi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    32 Jan  9  2013 source -> /home/jeff/Documents/linux-sunxi

By the way, thanks for this new release, it seems very good and i appreciate the boot time :D

drspastic

hi, and thanks for all the good work.

may i request you post a .zip of the root filesystem (with any details of swap, other needed partitions.

this will avoid the need to keep flashing cards with dd when the boot partition is already there.
i am getting problems with flashing, maybe wear.

thanks!

jwischka

Quote from: drspastic on January 17, 2013, 04:44:43 PM
hi, and thanks for all the good work.

may i request you post a .zip of the root filesystem (with any details of swap, other needed partitions.

this will avoid the need to keep flashing cards with dd when the boot partition is already there.
i am getting problems with flashing, maybe wear.

thanks!

I'll see what I can do. FYI, SD cards have built in controllers which should control the wear leveling issue, and in any event, cards are, for the most part, supposed to be able to experience thousands (or more precisely tens of thousands) of write cycles before failing. What issues are you experiencing, exactly?

leo

Hi maurosk,

since the MOD-ENC28J60 UEXT module still does not work, i also tried a USB ethernet adapter with an ASIX chipset as a workaround.
You can find the module under: Device Drivers -> Network device support -> USB Network Adapters -> ASIX AX88xxx. So there is no need to build it on your own.
But one side note!
I did NOT get the build in module working with the 3.0.52 kernel or 3.0.57 kernel so i ended up using the 3.4 kernel branch. Now it works fine. But maybe this is just a problem with my specific vendor version of this adapter.
If you really want to build the module on your own, you have to edit $KDIR which refers to the path of the kernel source directory.

Kind regards
Leo

maurosk

Hi Leo, thanks for hint, how i can add ASIX modules in jwischka kernel? Can you explain me how to recompile this kernel? What i need? Thanks in advance

jwischka

Quote from: maurosk on January 17, 2013, 05:29:37 PM
Hi Leo, thanks for hint, how i can add ASIX modules in jwischka kernel? Can you explain me how to recompile this kernel? What i need? Thanks in advance

You'll need to fork the kernel source from the linux-sunxi branch, for starters. After that, it's basically configuration. You don't need to recompile my kernel - you can compile your own! :)

maurosk

Yes i know this, but your kernel is good, it need just ethernet mod.. i try to recompile my own kernel, but it isn't good like yours, that's why i want to recompile yours :D