MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 "Target Communication Error"

Started by trwinok, March 12, 2016, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trwinok

Hi
I'm trying to use the MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 in stand alone mode, but keep getting "Target Communication Error" when I try to program my device.  I'm using the MSP430FR5728 in SBW mode.

The MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 works fine with my Code Composer version 5 in debug mode and I have the latest firmware 2.007.

I am supplying 12V to the DC power jack and I can successfully read the device in stand-alone mode, but when I try to write back what I just read, I get the "Target Communication Error".

Here is the .OPJ from my read:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ISO_V2>
    <!--Device ID-->
    <!--Device interface - JTAG,SBW,AUTO-->
    <!--Device voltage 2700-3600 mV-->
    <!--Device main base address-->
    <!--Device info base address-->
    <Target Id="239" IF="SBW" Vt="3300" MainBase="0xC200" InfoBase="0x1800"/>
    <!--Presave calibration data - 0/1 disbale/enable-->
    <!--Erase device - 0/1/2 disbale/sectors/mass-->
    <!--Blank check device - 0/1 disbale/enable-->
    <!--Programming device - 0/1 disbale/enable-->
    <!--Verify device - 0/1 disbale/enable-->
    <!--Blow device - 0/1 disbale/enable-->
    <!--File name-->
    <Programming PresaveCal="1" Erase="2" Blank="1" Write="1" Verify="1" Blow="0" File="FR572800.TXT"/>
    <!--Serializing enable - 0/1 disbale/enable-->
    <!--Serial number format - HEX,BDC-->
    <!--Serial number endian - LE,BE32,BE8-->
    <!--Serial number size - 1:4 bytes-->
    <!--Serial number start address-->
    <!--Serial number-->
    <!--Last serial number-->
    <SN Enable="0" Format="HEX" Endian="LE" Size="0" Addr="0x0" Count="0" Last="0"/>
    <!--Sections preserve-->
    <Section>
        <!--Section start address-->
        <!--Section size-->
        <Entry Start="0x0" Size="0x0"/>
    </Section>
</ISO_V2>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

03/14/2016 Here's some more info to add.  We bought 10 of these to solve a firmware upgrade issue in the field.  I took two new ones out of the box, read the device, then tried to program it back and got the same error on both.  Both correctly identified the device as a MSP430FR5728 so I know the connection is good.

*********************************************************************************************************************
03/15/2016 Problem SOLVED!!!--------> Just don't do the ERASE and BLANK check!
*********************************************************************************************************************

<Programming PresaveCal="0" Erase="0" Blank="0" Write="1" Verify="1" Blow="0" File="FR572800.TXT"/>

Being a FRAM based device we treat CODE memory just like RAM memory. The processor will take care of the programming.

BTW - The Olimex programmer does the same thing.  It will read, but not ERASE the device.  According to the MSP430 JTAG document, there is a function to erase FRAM memory (set all locations to 0xFF), but apparently it's not working in the MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2???

LubOlimex

Hey,

Thank you for the update. Hope more people see this. FRAM doesn't require typical erase and it relies only on programming. Most software tools (including the firmware of our debuggers) rely on the ERASE + WRITE + VERIFY + READ sequence. The sequence would fail on the first step – ERASE.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex