Connecting a capacitive touch screen

Started by aauer1, December 08, 2012, 08:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aauer1

Hi,

I'm very interested in the A13 processor. And I have seen that a resistive touch screen can be directly connected to the A13 processor. Right now, I'm thinking about connecting a capacitive touch screen.

IMHO, connecting such a touch screen to the I2C interface of the processor shouldn't be that problem.
But is it possible to use it in Android? Is the kernel for Android open source? So, I can implement the driver for the touch screen if it isn't already there?!

Cheers,
Andreas

murerten

If you saw tablets with A13 and capacitive touch it is possible. And I bought one. It is possible. Olimex provides an A13-sdk. The sdk includes all you need: kernel, android 4.0 source. You can compile your own image. But instead of compiling kernel you can make some configurations by changing a configuration file called fex file. There are many things you can change and these include touch screen. You can check this site: http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide. How to change this file is explained in the A13-olinuxino datasheet.

aauer1

Thanks for the info. The fex file seems indeed very promising!

Does Olimex plan to sell capacitive touch screens, too?

olimex

no, these are very expensive in small quantities, the price of 1 pce 7" tablet with capacitive LCD is same as the quote for 1000 pcs LCD only with capacitive touchscreen which make me think that capacitive touch LCD manufacturers do not want to bother with small sales at all and prefer to work only with factories which produce in volumes

hellcat

Hi,

I would like to connect capacitive touch to Olinuxino boards. (I connect many resistive screens to a lot of different ARM processor, so the hw and sw side is not a problem for me.) I understand that these screens are very expensive, but in my application the price of the screen is not really matter (e.g.: ~100..350 USD). After hours and days of searching a cap. touch screen module, I finally very close to give up. Can you recommend any distributor or company who sells cap. touch screen parts? (Even if these are very expensive...) I am very appreciated any help or hint. Thank you very much for your time and effort in advance.
Attila

oldpenguin

Hello

Example http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/touch-screen-sensors/7496849/.
Comes with USB controller
As you can see they are VERY expensive.
The prices might come down some day. Who knows..

aauer1

Hi,

do you need a whole capacitive touch screen display or only the touch screen for the display (I hope you know what I mean)?
Which size do you need?
Have you searched alibaba.com for an Asian distributor? They may have some cheap displays with capacitive touch.

Cheers,
Andreas

vicccc

other:
http://mcpia.com/MT_S070_01A.html
7.0inch
Projected Capacitive with cover lens
1024(W) x 600(H)
Controller: Solomon SSD2533
I2C, 10pin FPC

JohnS

Maybe buy an A13 tablet (now cheap and easily available) and find what it uses then source the same digitiser etc.

John

hellcat

Thank you very much for all of you. They are very great advises (RS-components, mcpia (I try this on first), alibaba). I already bought an A13 tablet several month ago but I cannot identify the manufacturer of the screen (the internal markings was manufacturer specific). I was not lucky with that :). Now I can just change my resistive touch foil to a capacitive one. It's great. I will give a feedback after the integration to my board and files to make anybody's work easier if a cap. touch screen is required.

Thanks again,
Attila

koray.duran

Hello Attila,

If you succeed pls also share your experience with us.