MSP430 - questions from a beginner

Started by Physiologist, August 23, 2014, 05:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Physiologist

Hi, guys,

For a starter,  I must admit that I have no experience whatsoever with either MSP processors or with their programming. I do,  however, have extensive experience with design and use of precision amplifiers for very low signals - so,  I am not totally ignorant of electronics.  In addidtion to that,  the type of work I do (biomedical research) often makes me dive into the areas where I have very little (if any) expertise and get things done (usually, with kind help of other people).  So,  here I am asking for help with getting started in this new endeavor.  I am also asking of some level of tolerance to my questions,  many of which will probably sound stupid to you all. 

Now,  I am trying to set the MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 to work with either the a Kickstart version of IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430 6.10,  or with the Code Composer Studio 6.0.1 (whichever I will be able to make work faster for my purpose).  With that,  I will be trying to make use of the Mod-EKG board following fairly close the TI Application Bulletin #slaa280a (hopefully, with slightly modified C-code that this application refers to).

Thus far,  I've downloaded both IDE-s,  followed the instructions in the MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 Manual to replace the MSP430.dll and olimex.dll in \IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench  x.x\430\bin and in C:\ti\ccsv6\ccs_base\DebugServer\drivers. I am looking throught the manuals for the CCS and for the IAR-EW - both overwhelming for a beginner like myself.  However, I am not sure yet if my installation was correct and if the IAR-EW or the CCS recognized the ISO-MK2...

All of your help (first, in getting me going and making sure that I am doing things right,  and may be later with modifying the code) will be greatly appreciated and will be acknowledged (either personally,  or the Forum as a whole) in the scientific publication(s) in international peer-reviewed journal(s) that will result from my research employing this development project.

Thank you!

LubOlimex

Hey there,

There are two things related to the drivers:

1. After you plug the debugger a pop-up will show and would ask for drivers. Point the installer to the folder where you extracted the driver archive.

2. Place the dll files in the proper folder integrated development suite of interest.

After you open the project, make sure to check on the project settings and select the debugger.

We provide the MOD-EKG firmware code suitable for IAR EW here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Biofeedback/MOD-EKG/resources/MOD-EKG_DemoSoft_IAR_for_MSP%20v_4_21.zip MOD-EKG default code. Note that specifically for the MOD-EKG project you would be asked to convert it to newer versions upon opening it. It should convert easily and compile without problems after the conversation is done.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex