A20 as a multimedia player on TV ? direct connector ?

Started by alegatorul, July 30, 2013, 02:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alegatorul

Hello,
is it a chance that i can use a multimedia TV with A20 ?
if yes, what should i get from Olimex beside the PCB ?

Thanks
Reiki as a way of live.

XFer

Multimedia TV? You mean with a tuner?
As far as I know, there's no tuner available for the OLinuXino boards.
But if you just need a multimedia player with web browser and ability to play games, the A20 is excellent for the purpose.
You just need a power supply and a microSD card with Debian. Then you'll have to look for proper applications (for instance, I don't know if XBMC already supports the A20).

Fernando

alegatorul

Thanks Fernando

I want to get an A20 pcb from olimex to make an android or else - linux flavored system to use internet or so, not for tunner - but beside and SD card with O.S. and an power charger what do i need more to connect the pcb to video ( RCA - tv in ) to TV ?
do i need special connector ? or some other parts... i ask this cause i dunno more about pins or something more about pcb for A20 from descriptions

Thanks
Reiki as a way of live.

XFer

The board has a standard HDMI connector on board (already soldered on), so if your TV has HDMI IN, you just need a simple HDMI cable.
If your TV has no HDMI nor DVI (no digital video input, that is), then it's more complicated, because the board has no analog video out (no Composite/SVideo/RGB/Component), so you would have to look for a HDMI-to-analog converter suitable for your TV inputs.

Then if you want Internet access, consider the board has a RJ-45 Ethernet plug soldered on, but no WiFi: if you don't like to plug an Ethernet cable, you would have to look for a WiFi accessory module (like for example this one https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/MOD-WIFI-RTL8188/), but you would have to check with Olimex if it's already supported by the kernel, which is still a bit "beta" at the moment since the board is new.

Fernando

rzr

Btw what is this TVOUT3 pin ? isnt this for SDTV ?

A20-OLinuXino-MICRO user's manual
  6.11 GPIO-1 (General Purpose Input/Output) 14pin connector**
  20 TVOUT3 AB17

Note that RPI supports SDTV ...

alegatorul

Quote from: rzr on January 01, 2014, 04:18:42 PM
Btw what is this TVOUT3 pin ? isnt this for SDTV ?

A20-OLinuXino-MICRO user's manual
  6.11 GPIO-1 (General Purpose Input/Output) 14pin connector**
  20 TVOUT3 AB17

Note that RPI supports SDTV ...
or gpio 4

this is what i'm talking about...
i really need an A20 just as a multimedia interactive player connected to a standard european tv, via Sdtv.
can't figure out, any help is welcomed. thanks.
Reiki as a way of live.

JohnS

What (video) connector(s) do you think a "standard european tv" has?

What signals do you think such a TV would accept?

(I've seen quite a few TVs and "standard" is not obvious!)

John

alegatorul

Quote from: JohnS on September 04, 2014, 02:51:21 PM
What (video) connector(s) do you think a "standard european tv" has?

What signals do you think such a TV would accept?

(I've seen quite a few TVs and "standard" is not obvious!)

John

hi,
cvbs, eu tv, 640p.
Reiki as a way of live.

JohnS

I don't think I have a TV like that!

I'd expect 576i

Must be a new meaning of "standard"...

You can buy converters very cheaply so just get one if that's what you want.

John

MBR

Yes, there are VGA to TV-Out convertors (mostly S-Video+Compsite combos, some also have RGB), but thing about them like the last resorts for older TVs without a HDMI input. The output quality is not as good as native TV-Out on graphics card, because the standard TV resolutions and standard (S)VGA resolutions do not match and the convertor has to upscale/downscale, which casues bluring and various kinds of artifacts.

PS: The most used SD resoltions are 576i PAL/SECAM and 480i NTSC. Never heard about 640p (but there is 480p).

alegatorul

my mistake 480p

i overlooked many times on manul i saw some connectors.
i already have some convertors 4 my tv, but i was thinking about direct connection on a20, if it's possible. this is what i've asked here.
Reiki as a way of live.