ESP32-EVB: Ethernet Connection pysically lost

Started by A002005, February 25, 2022, 05:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A002005

Hello,

We have some issues with the ethernet connection of the ESP32-EVB. Sometimes the physical connection gets lost. The device is still working. We don't get a ETH: Connection lost message. But the physical connection is not established anymore. Pings etc. don't work anymore. A soft reboot cannot establish the connection again. We need to perform a hard reset. We tried many different cables and switches. No difference. The use of some really, really accurate power supplies seems to make it better, but not completely. We have tried over 20 ESP32-EVB. The effect is always the same.

Can someone help me?

Thank you!

LubOlimex

Describe your software and hardware setup. What exactly are you doing, what do you have connected. What are the tools you are using.

The more information you provide on what you are doing, the higher the chance someone might be able to help you.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

A002005

We are using the MOD-RS232 extension to connect a rs232 device. This connection seams to be stable. On the other side we use the ethernet connection. On the device there is a webserver running.

#include <WiFi.h>
#include <ETH.h>
#include <HardwareSerial.h>

LubOlimex

How do you power the ESP32-EVB board? How do you power the MOD-RS232 and the RS232 device?

Did you try without the MOD-RS232 and the device? Does the hang still occur?

Did you try with default Ethernet demo from Arduino IDE, the one described here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/IoT/ESP32/_resources/Arudino-ESP32.txt ?

A002005

I use the related product SY0605E as power supply. We also tried some pretty good power supplies with good filters and high current. Maybe we have are a little bit less errors but the errors a still there. The MODR232 got no separate power supply. The RS232 devices are several industrial scales with own industrial standard power supplies.

I never tried it without the MOD-RS232 because we need it and the error occurs only sometimes after between a few seconds and 50 hours! But we tried to disconnect the device behind the MOD-RS232. No difference. We also tried the demo. No difference. 

LubOlimex

What is the hardware revision on the board?

Are you using the relays?

Can it be this issue: https://github.com/OLIMEX/ESP32-EVB/issues/35 ?

A002005

Rev H. I am not using the relays. This is not exactly the same thing, but it seems to be similar. I will try it and come back later. Thank you!

A002005

Hello,

soldering an extra 1nF capacitor at the bottom of the board on the PHY_RST1 jumper is a solution! All boards had the problem with the ethernet connection. In different environments. After the fix each board runs propper! Maybe you should think about a hardware revision. 

LubOlimex

We did in revision I1, check the notes about C18 here:

https://github.com/OLIMEX/ESP32-EVB/tree/master/HARDWARE

We are currently manufacturing revision K1...

Jürgen

Hi, i have the same problem as A002005. Always lost connection to the Olimex-EVB. I use it for an project named BSB-LAN. Since last week i us an second board. It has the same REV. K as my first one. But always th same problem. I've actually tried a lot. Even the developer of BSB-LAN couldn't help. Are there any other ideas I can try?

LubOlimex

Does the hang happen after a relay switch? On what condition does the Ethernet hang?

Jürgen

Please excuse me for only getting back to you now. I've tried a lot of things. Yes, I switch a small water pump on the heater with a relay. The load is not a problem for the relay. To find out whether switching with the relay was causing the problem, I disconnected it and deactivated the program for your circuit. Unfortunately without success. The Olimex was suddenly no longer accessible again. I also changed the power supply several times. Various USB power supplies and even the bevel of the supply cable were changed so that there was no influence via the cable, e.g. burner start, etc.
When it comes to the network, I have already changed the network cables and switches. Unfortunately without success. I have now bought a new Olimex EVB board with Rev. K. Unfortunately without success. I can see some connection with burner ignition or termination. A next attempt would be to mount the Olimex further away from the kiln. Currently sits in close proximity to the oven control. But there is a sheet metal that separates the burner room from the control room. (Brötje BSB25) But I don't know whether there could still be an electromagnetic problem (EMC). I am very grateful for all ideas and help. Many greetings Jürgen

LubOlimex

Yeah try further away.

Might just be unsuitable type of relay for your project and load. Might want to try external solid state relay and ESP32-GATEWAY instead of ESP32-EVB.

JohnS

Jürgen

Hello John, thank you for your question. Do you mean a diode on the Olimex relay or on a separate relay that is controlled by the Olimex relay? Unfortunately I don't have a diode to quench sparks, for example. I could actually have thought of that too. I just remembered that I connected the pump in parallel to the control of the boiler in order to operate it additionally even if the boiler does not control it itself. The bevel is of course the same. But the line to the relay on the Olimex is of course then energized. But I still have the problem even if I disconnect the relay. Many greetings Jürgen