iMX223-OLinuXino-Maxi New User Problem

Started by satter, January 26, 2013, 11:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satter

I just brought up my new iMX223-OLinuXino-Maxi using the Olimex over the counter SD card.  I am a neophyte both with the board and with linux.  I have been into C with X86 and 8 bit micros for many years.  After wildly searching and finally finding the login and password, it came up; however where it takes me seems strange and the only command that I get a response with is ls /.  The prompt it shows is ?t@alarm ~]#.  The question mark is because left edge is cut off on my screen.  Some help would be appreciated.

jlumme

Are you using video out? Many people have reported that it swallows few characters from the left side.. (misaligned image)
Strange that your prompt looks like that. Do you see normal text during the boot? (boot traces from kernel?)

satter

Thanks.  Yes, I am using video out, although that is not my serious problem right now.  The major problem is that I am stuck after login in what I think is wrong place.  After I log in successfully what should then be the prompt?  From the alarm prompt mentioned above, it seems I can't do anything. 

zeehond

if you see ?t@alarm ~]# (where ? stands for roo) I think you are already logged on as user root.
try:
whoami

satter

When I enter whoami I think I get back root; however all I can see is the ending t.  With the OTC SD card what login should I be using?  I could not find the login or password for SD card in any of the literature I have or could find, I managed to find root/root in a posting; however I suspect that that is not what I should be using.

Back to the missing characters at beginning of the line.  I don't know if that is the board or the video to VGA adaptor I am using.  The adaptor is tha only way I display the output without going up to the attic and dragging down an old, old monitor.  Is it possible that it comes from the board and if so is there a work around?

jlumme

About the TV-out, there is a thread here: https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=621.0
So I think it's safe to say it's HW issue on the board... If you can, I would recommend using the debug pins on your maxi and a serial cable, this way you can also see loader traces etc...

But I'm not sure about what the default prompt should be in the SD card from Olimex.

olimex

TV-out is not hardware issue but Linux driver issue :) the driver do not allow parameter tweaking and always some characters are missing from the left side and bottom of the screen no matter how you set it in userland

lucio

Quote from: olimex on January 28, 2013, 08:45:18 AM
TV-out is not hardware issue but Linux driver issue :) the driver do not allow parameter tweaking and always some characters are missing from the left side and bottom of the screen no matter how you set it in userland

Is anyone looking at addressing this problem?  I'm sure the TV driver is a real pain, but if it's a matter of making some adjustments, maybe just a (source) patch will suffice?

Lucio.

Chris

I've an original 2.6 kernel released by Freescale with perfectly working TV out, get it from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5RB6TqFSILBMVZPUnRrWjNEdjg/view?usp=sharing

> cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.35.3_OLinuXinoR4 (hehopmajieh@hehopmajieh-office) (gcc version 4.7.1 20120421 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #11 PREEMPT Mon May 21 10:27:52 EEST 2012

MBR

The "mising part of image" feature is called overscan (see Wiki for definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan) and was used because old CRTs have problems with the correct position of image on the screen. Some TVs can turn it off (for analog inputs is on by default), so try looking in the setup of your TV.