April 19, 2024, 01:55:50 AM

US power adapter

Started by pineman, May 27, 2021, 12:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineman

The supplied power adapter with the US prong converter is cumbersome and now the prong converter isn't staying on very well (friction is gone). I'm afraid my son is going to shock himself messing around with it. Does anyone have a link to a good power adapter for US users or can Olimex offer one? What's the DC plug size I should be looking for? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

LubOlimex

As long as the replacement can provide 3A @ 5V (or better) output - it is good. If the current is lower than 3A you risk power shortages. I believe the jack required is a thin one - 2.5mm x 0.8mm, center positive.

It is hard to find such adapter because of the higher power requirement, most compatible units can provide 1A or 2A, some even less, hence why we re-sell it in first place.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

pineman

Okay, I will give this one a try, it claims to be 3A.

I had great fun putting this kit together with my son and hope you continue to offer it. You definitely want to keep the power adapter in the kit for completeness.

LubOlimex

Cool, glad you liked it! Keep us updated if that adapter unit works well.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

baffo32

I usually cut the cable and wire in a 5V buck regulator, like https://www.amazon.com/UIOTEC-Converter-Regulator-Waterproof-Efficiency/dp/B08ZKFH7NS .  Then you can connect pretty much any DC source to run it: old power adapters, car batteries, solar panels.