[IMAGE] A13(-WIFI) Debian (now Ubuntu) + xfce flashable (Updated: 08 Mar: R18)

Started by jwischka, December 17, 2012, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinobi

Quote from: jwischka on January 22, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
Looks like your 4GB card isn't really 4GB. I don't suppose you have an 8gb one to play with?
No I dont.
What brand are you using?
Kingston :)

jwischka

Quote from: shinobi on January 22, 2013, 05:05:35 PM
Looks like your 4GB card isn't really 4GB. I don't suppose you have an 8gb one to play with?
No I dont.

Hm. A lot of Kingston cards are known to be fake, even when purchased from reputable dealers. It might be worth checking to see if yours is legit.

It's also not as easy, but you could flash the standard 2GB image (from olimex), then extend the file system to your 4gb card, then do some quick package updates and install my kernel, which I could post separately. Somewhat of a pain, but workable, if you want to try it (I can give you instructions)

jwischka

So everyone is aware, it seems as though there may be a bit of a stability issue with regard to the on-board wireless in R9. I am testing an R10 build at the moment, and also checking to see whether the problem is only on the on-board, or also on separate USB adapters. The wireless on the board has always been flaky, so it's not terribly surprising, and there are a couple of culprits that I'm looking into. Hopefully this means an R10 build will drop later today, but I'll probably not put one out until I can track down the source of the issues.

This could also mean returning to the 3.0.57 branch, depending on whether we can track this down.

JohnS

No I dont.
Any chance you were writing the IMG to a partition on the SD instead of to the whole SD?

jwischka

That's not actually how windiskimager works - it's done at a drive level. To make sure, you could go into diskpart and do a "clean" command on the drive, but it shouldn't be necessary. I suspect that there may literally be not enough space on the card, though that would be somewhat odd...

Quote from: JohnS on January 22, 2013, 05:22:05 PM
No I dont.
Any chance you were writing the IMG to a partition on the SD instead of to the whole SD?

shinobi

Quote from: JohnS on January 22, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
Not sure. I am using win32diskimager. I think it writes to the whole card.

Hm. A lot of Kingston cards are known to be fake, even when purchased from reputable dealers. It might be worth checking to see if yours is legit.
Just tried another 4gb kingston card. Same result.

Quote from: jwischka on January 22, 2013, 05:08:53 PM
It's also not as easy, but you could flash the standard 2GB image (from olimex), then extend the file system to your 4gb card, then do some quick package updates and install my kernel, which I could post separately. Somewhat of a pain, but workable, if you want to try it (I can give you instructions)
No, no thanks but this is too complicated for me.

Maybe I should buy 8gb card :)

jwischka

That is probably the easiest solution - then you can extend the FS out. Personally I'm running on a 16gb card, and they're cheap enough now on Amazon that there's not much of a reason to stay with 4GB, unless you're developing an industrial product where every dollar counts.

Quote from: shinobi on January 22, 2013, 05:31:00 PM

Quote from: JohnS on January 22, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
Not sure. I am using win32diskimager. I think it writes to the whole card.

Just tried another 4gb kingston card. Same result.

Quote from: jwischka on January 22, 2013, 05:08:53 PM
No, no thanks but this is too complicated for me.

Maybe I should buy 8gb card :)

jwischka

Update:

R10 images, complete with kernels that have wifi which stays on for longer than 30 minutes, are ripped and ready to upload. Unfortunately my internet connection is not, but hopefully will be fixed in the morning.

For R11 I am considering moving the base rootfs to something cobbled together from the linaro developer edition, which I think may provide slightly speedier performance and boots. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, this would be the time to share them.

buzibus

Hello

First of all, thanks for all your work creating images for us :D

Second, will your future images be > 4Gb ?

I guess I'll have to buy a bigger card then  ( that and the USB keyb ).

jwischka

I plan to keep the images at 4GB, and let people extend the filesystem for larger cards.

Quote from: buzibus on January 23, 2013, 05:30:03 AM
Hello

First of all, thanks for all your work creating images for us :D

Second, will your future images be > 4Gb ?

I guess I'll have to buy a bigger card then  ( that and the USB keyb ).

buzibus

Since version 8 and now 9 I get a message like this:

Yes I'm using a Kingston 4Gb too.

Maybe its better to get a 8Gb file and keep the 4Gb for other purposes.

jwischka

Somewhat odd - the card I have been pulling images from hasn't changed, so I'm not sure why it is a few sectors longer than other cards.

Is this a brand new card? Have you used it for anything? I'm wondering if there may be some issues with bad blocks marked on the card?

Quote from: buzibus on January 23, 2013, 05:44:06 AM
Since version 8 and now 9 I get a message like this:

Yes I'm using a Kingston 4Gb too.

Maybe its better to get a 8Gb file and keep the 4Gb for other purposes.

JohnS

I'm using 8GB cards but have a 4GB and it is 7737344 blocks of 512 bytes so again it would not fit.  The Olimex image fitted.

It wouldn't be much work for anyone with a smaller card to tweak the image but it's a bit of a pain.  (On Linux some loopback mounts make it pretty easy.  No idea on Windoze!)

bimodh

Hey jwischka,

It worked for me, Thanks dude........ :)

drspastic

thought of hosting files as a torrent? it might get download speed up. i will happily seed latest images.
im now downloading 9 and will post a report later.
im glad it wasnt just me being stupid with r8 networking!