Blow JTAG fuse over SBW using MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2

Started by azzido, January 18, 2018, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azzido

Hi all,

Is MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 able to blow JTAG fuse of MSP430G2553 over SBW ?

many thanks

LubOlimex

MSP430G2553 is supported by the firmware of MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2.

MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 can blow the fuses of MSP430G2553, however (!) you can NOT do it over regular SBW. If you are not an electronics expert I would recommend establishing full JTAG connection between the emulator and the target. This

If you are an expert, you can only make a smaller hardware modification instead of full JTAG. You add the connection TEST/VPP (for the fuse blowing) to the connection for TEST/SBWTCK, and you must add a 330 Ohm resistor on the TCK line to protect it from the fuse-blowing voltage. This is shown in figure 2-2 below from the Hardware Tools User's Guide (http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau278aa/slau278aa.pdf), specifically see the resistor R2 and footnote C. This ought not to fry the MSP430 as you are still applying the fuse voltage to the same TEST pin on the target 430 that was designed to take this fuse-blowing voltage, so you just have to add the resistor to protect your programmer TCK line from damage since it's sharing that line.

Over regular SBW you can blow the fuses only of the MSP430 targets with "virutal" (e.g. software) fuses - like MSP430x5xx targets.

The above is true for all emulators, not only MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

azzido

Thanks LubOlimex.

In conclusion, if I take care about adding the R2 and wiring correctly like Figure 2-2 depicts then I should be able to blow the real fuse of MSP430G2553 over the SBW using mentioned programmer: MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2. Okay ? I want to be sure before ordering.

Many thanks

LubOlimex

Yes. I also recommend you to check the official forums, for example this thread: https://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/msp430/f/166/t/107143

Notice that this doesn't have anything to do with the programmer or emulator you are going to use. It is about MSP430G2553 and SBW specification. Even if you purchase a tool from Microchip/Atmel you would have to do the same.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

azzido

Hi LubOlimex,

Blowing the real fuse of MSP430G2553 I guess it's a microcontroller specific procedure and not part of the SBW specification. That's why I am looking for the right device able to blow the fuse (apply physical Vpp/6.5V on the TEST pin in a correct sequence of commands over SBW). For example the the programmer from the LaunchPad doesn't support this function, it requires a higher voltage (6.5) than the maximum power supply 3.6V and some mosfets to apply this voltage to blow the fuse. There are devices that can program/debug the microcontroller MSP430G2553 but they are not able to blow the JTAG fuse.

Thanks

LubOlimex

Yes, of course. MSP430-JTAG-TINY-MK2 also can't burn fuses, while MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 can. But if you get an emulator that CAN burn fuses, you still need to take into account the note about SBW fuse burning (additional wire and adding resistor R2 330 Ohm to protect)... So it won't work out-of-the-box over SBW connection

azzido

Hello,
me again

I have one MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2. I installed the drivers from the Olimex webpage and I replaced the dlls from IDE with the new DLLs. My question is why I cannot see in the Programmer GUI version 1.3.0.4 the Device MSP430G2553 ? I know that it is supported.

Please help me.
Thanks

LubOlimex

The firmware supports MSP430G2553, but it is not added in the GUI of the programmer. You can add more devices that are supported by the firmware but not visible in the drop-down menu - refer to the document "Readme_MSPPORG.txt" in the install folder of the programmer folder.

Open the folder where Olimex MSP430 Programmer is installed and edit with text editor "olidev.ini". Add an entry for MSP430G2553. The information needed can be seen in the datasheet of MSP430G2553 in the "Memory Organization" table.

azzido

It seems to work perfectly.
I also did the hardware modification and I was able to blow the real fuse of MSP430G2553.

Thanks a lot !

LubOlimex

Thanks for the update. Very good news, glad it all ended alright.