MSP430 JTAG-TINY-V2 Erasing and Programming Issues MSP430F5326

Started by becruz, January 31, 2017, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

becruz

Hello, We purchased several MSP430 JTAG-TINY-V2 Programmers to program the MSP430F5326. It seems there is an issue where once the microcontroller is programmed once, the memory can not be fully erased. this causes the issue where a Firmware can not be programmed into the MSP430 due to the fact it was not properly erased. Is there a fix to this issue? It seems the programmer is not erasing the correct memory blocks on this MSP430. I tried using the MSP430F5324 and the programmer works fine. The memory maps are different on these two IC's.

Has anyone encountered this issue or know a fix ?
I am using the MSP430Flasher.exe with the FW Version 2.007.
Thank you for your support

LubOlimex

Hey,

1. Does the problem persist with other flasher tools? I would recommend testing with our flasher tool  "MSP430Programmer". It has GUI and also has command line interface. It is available for download here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/JTAG/_resources/MSP_PROG_GUI_1.3.0.4_CLI_2.0.1.2_DLL_1.0.4.2.zip – again replace the dll in the installation folder with the latest one.

Note that you can add any target supported by the firmware in the drop down menu of the GUI - edit olidev.ini - refer to "Readme_MSPPORG.txt" on how to add support for MSP430F5326 if it is missing.

2. Which version of MSP430Flasher exactly did you use? Did you try with other versions of MSP430Flasher?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

becruz

hello,

The problem occurs with every Ti-Flasher Tools. I tried msp430flasher.exe ver 1.1.9 through 1.3.5. When I added support for the msp430f5326 with the correct memory addresses in the olidev.ini file, the erase and program appears to work fine with the msp430programmer "mspprog-cli-v2" tool.

Is there a way to add this support for other tools, specifically the msp430flasher.exe  ?

Thank you for your help.

*UPDATE* it appears the programmer programs successfully.. However after some experimenting and cross examination by reading the device memory using different programmers, the same problem persists. The tool does not flag an error after programming but it in fact does not program correctly. Appears to be the same problem, the device is not properly erased 

LubOlimex

The line you added should look like this:

:MSP430F5326   00004400   0001C3ff   00001800   000019ff

I think that the flash memory is exactly the same between F5326 and F5324 - looking at table 5 of the datasheet: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430f5326.pdf - only the code memory is different.

Can you also test with DLL version 1.0.4.2 instead of the latest 2.0.0.7 one? It also has support for MSP430F5326. It is available here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/JTAG/_resources/OLIMEX-MSP430-DLL-drivers-1.042.zip - again place the dll in the main install folder. The first time you issue a task via the Olimex MSP430 programmer you would be prompted for firmware upgrade, make sure to allow it.

Edit: removed strange copy paste text

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

becruz

I have tried your suggestions but with no success.. It appears the IC was successfully programmed but after reading the hex data from the micro, it appears the TINY still is not properly erasing all proper addresses. After using a TI FET430 to program the same IC, there is a difference in the memory. I confirmed the FET430 is correctly programming this microprocessor to use as a reference. The memory map is not the same as the MSP430F5324.

You also referenced an attached screenshot of the programmer programming the F5326 but I cant find that attachment.
Any other solutions to this issue ?

LubOlimex

becruz

I tried using older DLLS and unfortunately the erasing and reprogramming a MSP430F5326 still fails. Problem is still the TINY-V2 not erasing the entire program memory on the MSP430.