MOD-PULSE & MOD-USB-RS232

Started by vanderbasaran, November 27, 2013, 10:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanderbasaran

Hi,
I would like to use MOD-USB-RS232 to connect MOD-PULSE to a Windows PC. There are explanations on the manuals  on how to set each board to device or host mode, however I found them rather confusing, I could not understand which board should be device and which board should be host. It would be very helpful if any of you guys could explain clearly how to connect those boards to each other and to the PC.
Additionally I would like to power supply the MOD-PULSE from the PC USB port via MOD-USB-RS232, I would like your help on this issue, as well. 

LubOlimex

Hey there,

The board that provides the power should be set to host mode. The one that receives the power would be set to device mode.

In your case MOD-USB-RS232 would be set to host mode - you have to change the SMD jumpers on the back to position 4_RX and 3_TX - this operation would require cutting between the pads of the default connection and soldering the pads of the correct positon. MOD-PULSE would be set to device mode and you don't have to change the positions of J1 and J2.

You also need a compatible probe as mentioned in the documentation (e.g. Nellcor-compatible probe 520-1011N).

From hardware point of view this is everything you need to have everything ready. This is how everything looks connected: http://i.imgur.com/rJDxTus.jpg.

So now you need the software.

Install the driver for MOD-USB-RS232: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Interface/MOD-USB-RS232/resources/Demo_MOD-USB-RS232.zip. After successful installation the MOD-USB-RS232 would make a COM port in "Windows Device Manager". Remember the number of this COM port.

After that download the big archive from here: http://www.ti.com/lit/zip/slaa458. Extract it. Install \Revised Pulsoximeter Application\Pulsox LabVIEW GUI Install\My Installer\Volume\setup.exe.

Restart your computer.

When it loads back up start PulseOxMonitor.exe located in Revised Pulsoximeter Application\Pulsox LabVIEW GUI Install\Pulsox_GUI\.

Change the default COM port in the application with the one we saw in the "Windows Device Manager" few steps above.

Click the start button in the PulseOxMonitor application.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

vanderbasaran

Thank you for the instructions,
You said
QuoteIn your case MOD-USB-RS232 would be set to host mode - you have to change the SMD jumpers on the back to position 4_RX and 3_TX - this operation would require cutting between the pads of the default connection and soldering the pads of the correct positon. MOD-PULSE would be set to device mode and you don't have to change the positions of J1 and J2.
However my board does not have any connection in those pads. As is seen in the following image : http://i.imgur.com/TnScyAi.jpg

Anyways, I'll try your instructions when I got my hands on a soldering station and let you know about any progress.

Best Regards

LubOlimex

Hey vanderbasaran,

Thank you for the picture. The connection is there - 4_TX and 3_RX positions of the two jumpers.

The pad connection is established when the PCB is created by the machine (it is not soldered by hand afterwards) so it is very tiny and hardly visible.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

vanderbasaran

Hi,
Thanks for all the help, but unfortunately I have another problem :
I have installed the Labview GUI and I have the "Pulse Ox.exe" executable.

I need to modify the Labview GUI to record the signal and do some other signal processing, so, I located the associated "vi". However there should be another "vi" named "Pulse Oximeter Array Manipulation" which is missing.

Do any of you have that file or know where can I find it.

Regards

LubOlimex

Hey vanderbasaran,

Unfortunately, we don't have any additional files for LabView or MOD-PULSE. We have used the application only for testing and demonstration. We haven't modified the code at all.

I recommend you to refer to the original TI documentation (e.g. this: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa458/slaa458.pdf) or contact TI support. You might search or join the Texas Instruments forums where it is more likely someone would be able to assist you. 

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Mikemov

Hi,

I just got my parts and Im trying to set up the software but I am not able to install the driver for mod-usb-rs232. I tried to follow your intructions,
But the link downloads a demo file and I don't know how to install the driver from that. Would really appreciate your help.

Thank you

LubOlimex

Hey,

The driver files are inside the archive - in folder "...Demo_MOD-USB-RS232\Demo\inf\win2k_winxp".

Just extract the archive to a known location. Then open "Windows Device Manager" and plug MOD-USB-RS232 to the computer. A new hardware would pop-up. If you can't identify it the first time - then un-plug the unit from the computer, wait 5 seconds and plug it again. Do this until you know which exactly is the entry for MOD-USB-RS232.

When you identify the entry for MOD-USB-RS232 -> right-click over its entry and select "Update Driver Software". Then select "Browse My Computer For Driver Software". On the next screen click "Browse" and make sure to check the "Include subfolders" box. Point to the demo folder that you extracted previously!

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX