Trouble with identifying MSP430F2012

Started by hlahdema, May 09, 2016, 03:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hlahdema

Hi,

I have trouble with identifying the target device MSP430F2012 with MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2. I tried with newly developed board and also with a board developed about 3 years ago.  The processor on older board has SW inside, because I managed to contact and program it without problems about 3 years ago (might be that I had some earlier version of JTAG-TINY on that time).  I tried by powering the board both via JTAG-TINY and externally, doesn't help.  The board has some other components too,  the voltage is about 3.08V when feeding with TINY, but I think it should still be enough for programming.  I checked all connected pins allready, every connection OK.

I also tried 2 other processors MSP430F2132 and MSP430f5419A with the same JTAG-TINY, no problem with processor identification.  What might be the problem ?

Best Regards
Heimo Lähdemäki
Comprog Electronics Oy

LubOlimex

Hey,

1) Is your software installation the same as the one you used 3 years ago?

Replace the dll files in the software that you use, so that the debugger has the 2.0.0.7 firmware inside (after placing the dll files you would be asked for firmware update when you issue the first operation, make sure to agree to update the firmware).

2) Are you using JTAG or SBW interface? Are you aware that the SBW of our debuggers is different from SBW layout suggested by TI?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

hlahdema

Hi,

2) I am using JTAG interface. 

I soldered the processor and JTAG connector only to the plain PCB (we still had some plain PCBs) and tried again.  No problem, processor was identified and programmed.
It seems that regulator, LM3480IM3-3.3 takes two much power when its output is feeded with JTAG-TINY. Apparently there is not enough power left to make the identification correct. What was the maximum current TINY can source ?

LubOlimex

Probably between 100mA - 150mA - depends on a number of factors - quality of the USB cable and port, the computer motherboard, length of cables and cable resistance, presence of additional devices (mice, keyboards, flash memory sticks, etc) connected to the same USB port (each drawing current), etc. USB hubs might affect the maximum current available also.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex