March 28, 2024, 08:15:19 PM

Eagle to KiCad, with examples

Started by lachlan, July 29, 2015, 11:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lachlan

Hi, I have update my eagle ULP, for conversion from eagle to KiCad
and converting Eagle lbr to KiCad mod/libs
I have included a number of examples, of the conversion.
  from the OLIMEX site  they are:
  A20-OLinuXino-Lime2_Rev_C
  RT5350F-OLinuXino-B

I can add more example's from OLIMEX if there is interest.
Or if you don't have eagle.

Converts Eagle SCH/PCB to KiCad
  Github: https://github.com/lachlanA/eagle-to-kicad

Converts Eagle LBR to KiCad lib/mod.
  Github: https://github.com/lachlanA/eagle-to-kicad-libs

And the 2 examples of converted OLIMEX design's: https://github.com/lachlanA/eagle-to-kicad/tree/master/examples/OLINUXINO

:)

Lachlan

pierre

Hi,
thank's for your example. I'm interesting in Olinuxino nano or micro product. Have you the Kicad files for those projects ?
I would like to modify the Olinuxino nano/micro boards to adapt my electronic specific fonctionnality.
Thank's in advance.
Bye

lachlan

Hi Pierre,

I will convert any open/source design, and put up in the example's directory on GitHub, sorry for the slow replies, as I'm tying a workaround for the via problem, in KiCad,   with luck I will have a test version today,
and then can put the converted Nano and Micro boards today or tomorrow.

ajeandet

Hi Lachlan,

It's a really good idea, I started to write a kicad PCB viewer for fun and some tasks that kicad doesn't do. I tried it with your generated files the interesting thing is that it doesn't works as expected while I can open all kicad examples and kicad open your files without problem. I didn't have time to investigate more in detail this issue. BTW if your are interested my code is there:
https://hephaistos.lpp.polytechnique.fr/rhodecode/HG_REPOSITORIES/LPP/INSTRUMENTATION/kicadtools
To build it it's better on linux and you need flex/bison devel packages and Qt5 devel packages.

Best regards,
Alexis.

lachlan

My exporter builds old KiCad file formats.

When you first open my converted files in KiCad it warns you there are the old version
and will be converted to the new format.  If I remember correctly  :o ??? ::)

So that may be your problem.

I can have a look at your viewer,  but I'm still working on the via problem.
So wont be for a few days.

Lachlan.

ajeandet

Ok that may explain why, I didn't get warning from kicad, I will try to convert them.

Alexis.

lachlan

Hi Alexis,

Just added a via to pad hack,  so this should fix the no via on net problem, in KiCad,  but it's
a real hack,    Also fix the ulp not running on windows box's.

Give it a try and see how you go,   I will also update the examples and add nano and Micro boards
and Pixhawk Autopilot board, as it has multi sheet's too.

Lachlan

winfried

Thank you for the eagle to kicad conversion tools, they are really great help.

I converted roughly MOD-ESP8266-DEV, ESP8266-EVB-BAT, USB-uLipo and want to merge them somehow.

The problem:
  Every of them has an own device-lib converted and the OLIMEX custom devices for schematics/PCB like resistors are not the same as the R of kicad and when I add the converted libs i got doubles of converted parts of Olimex custom eagle parts.

My workflow as intended:
1) import the schematics from the converted in hierachal sheets
2) copy paste from them to my new project as needed.
3) remove obsolete sheets.

Advices needed:

- Should I add the olimex-parts to a new lib and avoid doubles (like resistors 602) ?

- How can I make a device footprint out of a Module, here MOD-ESP8266-DEV to solder on my board.
(I think the way it was done with pads with ESP8266-EVB-BAT is only practical for using sockets)

- Is there a place to share these libs, maybe an Olimex Part library for KICAD with others
  (preferable supervised by OLIMEX) or should we start something like this ?

mfg
winfried

PS: should we start a new thread to do this ?

---- Atelier Algorythmics --- [url="http://algo.mur.at/"]http://algo.mur.at/[/url] ----

lachlan

Quote from: winfried on January 05, 2016, 10:43:48 PM
Thank you for the eagle to kicad conversion tools, they are really great help.

I converted roughly MOD-ESP8266-DEV, ESP8266-EVB-BAT, USB-uLipo and want to merge them somehow.

The problem:
  Every of them has an own device-lib converted and the OLIMEX custom devices for schematics/PCB like resistors are not the same as the R of kicad and when I add the converted libs i got doubles of converted parts of Olimex custom eagle parts.

My workflow as intended:
1) import the schematics from the converted in hierachal sheets
2) copy paste from them to my new project as needed.
3) remove obsolete sheets.

Advices needed:

- Should I add the olimex-parts to a new lib and avoid doubles (like resistors 602) ?

- How can I make a device footprint out of a Module, here MOD-ESP8266-DEV to solder on my board.
(I think the way it was done with pads with ESP8266-EVB-BAT is only practical for using sockets)

- Is there a place to share these libs, maybe an Olimex Part library for KICAD with others
  (preferable supervised by OLIMEX) or should we start something like this ?

mfg
winfried

PS: should we start a new thread to do this ?

The KiCad stard lib's should be last,  after the extracted lib's from the eagle design.
as KiCad search's based on order,  in the lib list.   So having 2 lots of eagle lib's and then Kicad libs
is going to be tricky to say the lest.   The lib problems with KiCad is a real pain in the neck.
So I would not recoment..   mixing all three libs,   just use the converted lib's and add any extra parts to
that.

As far is public place to put up the converted libs,  this is tricky because of copyright problems.
that would have to be decided on a case by case base's.
My Github site could be used,   but then again,  github has it problems,  and maybe a second backup is
needed too.

I can't speak for Olimex,  But I don't think there interested in converting any of they libs over to Kicad
and making them publicly available. You can't even get the eagle libs,  for there open hardware stuff.

Lachlan