MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2 - only 2 breakpoints

Started by ivorss, April 20, 2014, 10:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivorss

Hi,

I am using the MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2 with Eclipse Kepler Service Release 1 and the MSP430 xpg.dk toolchain on a 64-bit Windows 8.1 machine. Everything works perfectly and I love the product. The only issue is that I only get 2 breakpoints. If I put 3, the debug session hangs. However in the Console window I get the following message, suggesting that up to 3 breakpoints are supported:

Incoming connection from GDB. Starting session...
Found a device: MSP430F5310
Number of hardware breakpoints: 3
32768 bytes of FLASH memory (0x8000-0xffff)
6144 bytes of RAM (0x1c00-0x33ff)
512 bytes of INFO memory (0x1800-0x19ff)

Most of the time 2 breakpoints are enough, but I ran into a few situations where I would need 3. Any help on this is highly appreciated!

Христос Воскресе!

LubOlimex

Hey ivorss,

Do you use semi-hosting? Have you tested different modes?

By the way the erratasheet of MSP430F5310 has few mentions of the breakpoints might be worth to take a look: http://www.ti.com/lit/er/slaz267i/slaz267i.pdf.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

ivorss

Thanks - I resolved the issue, which had nothing to do with the Olimex programmer.

It turns out the first hardware breakpoint was used as an entry for all the software breakpoints. Since I don't have much free flash memory in Debug mode, the software breakpoints were failing to be inserted as well.

As soon as I turned off the software breakpoint option I had 3 hardware breakpoints at my disposal.

LubOlimex

That's great news, ivorss.

Glad you fixed it. I will inform the developer that was looking into it. I bet he will be very happy.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex