Modify the Image Builder for custom configs

Started by fromage9747, January 29, 2024, 09:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromage9747

I would like to modify the Image builder for the a13 to make use of my custom configuration.

How would I go about doing this? I have found the yaml files, but I cannot locate any documentation of what parameters are accepted in these yaml files.

My custom A13-OLinuXino_defconfig file will need to be used.

New to olimex and embedded system, I apologise for my ignorance.

LubOlimex

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

fromage9747

Quote from: LubOlimex on January 29, 2024, 10:21:49 AMDid you check the bottom of the guide for Olimage image:

https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/blob/master/DOCUMENTS/OLIMAGE/Olimage-guide.pdf

Yes I did, unless I am blind I could not find a way to add a custom configuration to the image builder.

fromage9747

Actually, after all my buggering around today it has granted me the knowledge to understand the guide better. The only thing I am now having trouble with is rebuilding FIT as I cannot even boot the system with the image builder image. I land up with unable to boot FIT due to failed crc check. All the other steps can be done externally to booting the device

fromage9747

Alright so the only file that is "configurable" is olinuxino_defconfig, but on the first line it states "# Automatically generated file; DO NOT EDIT.".  I checked the u-boot config as I thought it might be similar, it is not.  How do I go about generating my own olinuxino_defconfig file for the custom kernel?

Also, the CRC error check occurs when using the a13 minimal image through the image builder.  I haven't been able to make any customisations so this is straight from olimex.  How can I debug this to find out why its having a CRC error?

fromage9747

"make menuconfig"

I take it? I have inherited this project from a developer who I cannot contact, and I am trying to not do everything from scratch but use what was already done before, using the original 3.4 kernel with debian7.

It's looking more and more like I cannot use anything except for the ram frequency from the previous config.

BhambriRohunu

Modifying the Image Builder for your A13 sounds like a cool project. While there's no official documentation directly listing every parameter in the YAML files, here's how you can navigate:

Look at other YAML files in the Image Builder repository for reference. They often define parameters, their formats, and brief descriptions. This will give you a good starting point and understanding of the structure. Utilizing your A13-OLinuXino_defconfig file is definitely possible. Look for the "kernel" section in the YAML files and experiment with integrating your configuration there. Remember, building kernel images requires deeper Linux knowledge, so consult resources like the Linux Kernel Documentation Project ([https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/]) for assistance.