USB Controller

Started by LeoB, January 23, 2024, 09:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoB

Hello all,
I'm an happy user of the LIME boards and I usually connect some switches directly to the GPIOS controlling some software actions with physical buttons connected to the board.

Now I would like to create a separate board with the switches in order to separate the board with the software and the controller board and if possible I would like to connect the two boards via usb.
Could you please guide me on the best solution to achieve this goal?

Thank you!

LubOlimex

There is some more software effort if you decide to connect the two boards over USB. Consider creating your board of peripherals with well-supported USB chip (or placing a popular converter).

Instead of USB consider using I2C or SPI. For reference check how we design our extension boards, like MOD-IO - it has AVR chip with firmware and connects to other boards via I2C: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/IO/MOD-IO/open-source-hardware
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

LeoB

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I was thinking to USB because it will be really great if I can connect the board with the switches to a PC or the lime board but googling I'm not finding anything useful to understand how can I create this kind of interface.
Do you have a guide or an idea?

Thanks again!