Help building u-boot for olinuxino A13 MICRO

Started by iso9660, February 20, 2013, 06:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iso9660

I'm trying to build u-boot for A13 MICRO.
These are the steps I followed:

git glone https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi.git
cd u-boot-sunxi
git checkout origin/sunxi-current -b tmp
make A13-OLinuXinoM CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -j 5
dd if=spl/sunxi-spl.bin of=/dev/sdd bs=1024 seek=8
dd if=u-boot of=/dev/sdd bs=1024 seek=32

When the board boots the terminal shows:

U-Boot SPL 2013.01-05816-ga2a8f07 (Feb 20 2013 - 16:40:30)
Board: A13-OLinuXinoM
DRAM: 256MB
SUNXI SD/MMC: 0

And the board just stops there.

iso9660

Opps I was transfering u-boot instead u-boot.bin.

Code without bug:

git glone https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi.git
cd u-boot-sunxi
git checkout origin/sunxi-current -b tmp
make A13-OLinuXinoM CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -j 5
dd if=spl/sunxi-spl.bin of=/dev/sdd bs=1024 seek=8
dd if=u-boot.bin of=/dev/sdd bs=1024 seek=32

Vinuthan

Hi,
I am a newbie to A13 olinuxino. I bought a A13 olinuxino Wifi yesterday and i am planning build u-boot for it initially and run some small programs on it. I have downloaded sunxi-uboot for this.
Can you guide me through the process.

And i won't have an LCD to checkout the screen output. Is there any method i can do it? like using my laptop's screen.

klotzmando

As for the use of the laptop screen, I do not know of a way you could do that directly. However you have several options for cloning the output to a window on you laptop screen if that will work for you.
So far I have been able to do it only from a linux image. The images available include a version of vnc and will support XRDP( a protocol recognized by windows as remote desk top). So if you include either in your build, it will work fine.
If you are looking for console output, you can use PuTTY and any of a number of USB to serial TTL devices. The serial devices is connected to the UEXT pins 2 - GND, 3-TX and 4-RX. Just check the documentation that comes with your USB to serial TTL device for the connections on that correspond to the GND, RX and TX.
I hope that helps.

iso9660

I think that for a newbie the first step is to use the image https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0 it is simple and reliable. After that you can try to compile the kernel and change it, and once you learn how to do that you can try to download a Linaro rootfs build and create your own custom image that fulfill your needs.

Vinuthan

thanks for your replies.

I plan to use Putty, as of now i think that would be better for me to start with.

I already have an android 4.0 image on the NAND of the board, But as of now i am not interested in its applications, i need to learn how actually the whole process of Porting any OS to an board takes place. So i thought i would start with u-boot on my board and learn how it actually functions and how applications can be run with just U-boot on the board. So, can you please help me with this regard.