ESP32-POE - Bootloader is bricked?

Started by Wosha, March 24, 2023, 09:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wosha

Hello,
I have Olimex ESP32-POE where I have flashed program, that worked.
I connected ESP to PC via USB. I wanted check debug ip adr. But if I remove ESP from PC.
The ESP did not start again after being connected to the power supply.

So I tried restarting esp a few times, but without success.
SO i tried boot ESP with (OV to pin GPIO0 - pin3 and pin5), with multimeter I check OVDC between these pins. And still not boot.

Any ideas?

LubOlimex

Sorry I don't understand the problem. So after you have programmed the board, it doesn't start when attached to USB? You tried to power it from USB and it no longer starts - all LEDs remain off, nothing shows over the USB, etc?
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Wosha

I have Moongoose OS installed on my ESP, ESP has been running for a week. Then I connected the ESP to my PC via USB(without additional power) to look at the debug IP address. After disconnecting it from the PC, it no longer boots. Only the CHRG1 and PWR1 LEDs are flashing.
When I connect the ESP via USB to PC, the COM7 port boots up, unfortunately I can't do anything else with the ESP, it can't read information from the device or do a flash program.

I also tried to connect GND to port GPIO0, I measured the OV between these ports with a meter, but it still won't boot, I can't even do a flash.

LubOlimex

Nothing in your description is suspicions. I don't see how the unit can get hardware damage from your actions... It is probably some software issue.

It is good sign that you see the unit as COM port. Maybe try with another simpler code - like simple button demo or maybe simple WIFI scanner? Maybe try with another software tool? Maybe Arduino for ESP32? Or Platformio for ESP32?

Wosha

I have tried the Arduino IDE, everything ends on this error:
esptool.py v4.5.1
Serial port COM7
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esptool/en/latest/troubleshooting.html
Failed chip erase: uploading error: exit status 2

I don't have the ability to upload anything to Esp's memory.

LubOlimex

Did you try to lower the upload speed to 115200?

Did you disconnect anything else from the board (including removing SD card)?

If the issue remains you might need to force bootloader mode manually:

- Pull GPIO0 to ground. Then either powerup or reboot the board.

- It is possible to edit the button function to act as BOOT button; this requires changing the position of a resistor.

ahmedhussain85

I have the exact same issue like someone else posted above.

I have tried the Arduino IDE, everything ends on this error:
esptool.py v4.5.1
Serial port COM7
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esptool/en/latest/troubleshooting.html
Failed chip erase: uploading error: exit status 2

I don't have the ability to upload anything to Esp's memory.

https://pasteboard.co/yTRzSBrJBDJQ.jpg