SOLVED: MOD-GSM-EDGE won't listen to me!

Started by dongfang, February 15, 2013, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dongfang

Hi,
After some experience with the SIMCom SIM900, I bought a the Olimex MOD-GSM-EGDE board with the SIM700D on it.

I got it hooked up to a 3.3V FTDI USB/serial interface, set the baud rate to default (460800), connected DTR and RTS and made sure they get asserted, and powered up the board.
I get a nice +CFUN:1 URC (and sometimes a +CPIN:ready) from the module but no matter what I type to it, there is neither echo nor response. Including ATE1.

I have set all jumpers as per "External power supply (+9 – 12VDC), or USB power supply without using the
internal backup battery" on page 10 of the user manual.
However the MPX/DRX and MTX/DTX jumpers are set to the main interface (already when receiving the board), not the debug interface (which the user manual states is default).

There is some unclarity about whether SIM700D is actually a DTE or a DTE. The SIM700D Hardware Design manual states (p. 37) that the module is a DCE. However page Figure 19, page 38 shows it connected to a DTE with TxD and Rxd crossed, and on page 19, RxD is an input and TxD is an output; that is not like a DCE. Anyway I just want to say I have thought of that and checked that I connected inputs and outputs right.

I have checked that my transmit signal from my PC arrives on pin 24 of the SIM700D and that pin 26 and 29 are asserted (0 volts). I have also loopback checked my FTDI adapter.

Any good ideas?
Thank you!

Kind regards
Soren Kuula

dongfang

I tried an AT+IFC=0,0 and AT&W blindly without echo, then restart. Same result. Module does not echo or respond to my input.

dongfang

Heavens -
If defaults to 460800 baud, the hardware manual from SIMCom says. And it sends me URCs at that speed upon startup. And it will not echo or respond to my commands at that speed.
In despair I deceided to try all possible transmit baud rates one after another. Even though I had those URCs at 460800. And <bang> at 110 baud the module will echo and execute my commands!!
Now I bought it because I needed more than GPRS speed, but 110 baud is not :) I hope I can get it set up now. At least it will listen to me if I speak very slowly.

So those of you who want to use the MOD-GSM-EDGE:
1) It's neither a true DTE nor a true DCE. See the hardware manual from SIMCom for signal directions: http://www.simcom.us/act_admin/supportfile/SIM700D_HD_V1.01.pdf . Olimex have been so kind not to rename the connections on the way from the module to the connector.
2) It sends some URCs at startup at 460800 baud but is will not accept any input at that speed.
3) It accepts 110 baud even if not configured for that with AT+IPR (cooool feature)
4) It was configured to 115200 baud, I can see with AT+IPR? . At it works at that speed too.

Regards
Soren