ESP32-PoE - no serial port available to program when connected using USB cable

Started by leodashevskiy, December 27, 2021, 10:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leodashevskiy

Hello, I have another problem, but this time with different boards. I purchased 3 units of ESP32-PoE boards (Rev. G), but cannot do anything with them because when I connect it to a computer no new Serial Port appears. I tried to do so on 2 computers with same result, using cable which works perfectly fine with ESP32-Gateway boards. I reinstalled driver listed on product page (from here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Breadboarding/BB-CH340T/resources/CH341SER.zip), but it did not help. (I am using Windows 10).
I am not using PoE now, so power is being provided using USB.
What do I do wrong?

LubOlimex

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

leodashevskiy

Tried it with 4 different cables on 2 different computers - same effect. All cables are working perfectly fine with your ESP32-Gateway boards, but not with this one.

leodashevskiy

I ordered ESP32-PoE-ISO board and it works with same cable just fine (as long as I am not selecting ESP32-PoE-ISO board in Arduino. Instead I have to use ESP32-PoE board).
Same cables used, so something is wrong with ESP32-PoE boards...

JohnS

Quote from: leodashevskiy on December 27, 2021, 10:00:53 PMHello, I have another problem, but this time with different boards. I purchased 3 units of ESP32-PoE boards (Rev. G), but cannot do anything with them because when I connect it to a computer no new Serial Port appears. I tried to do so on 2 computers with same result, using cable which works perfectly fine with ESP32-Gateway boards. I reinstalled driver listed on product page (from here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Breadboarding/BB-CH340T/resources/CH341SER.zip), but it did not help. (I am using Windows 10).
I am not using PoE now, so power is being provided using USB.
What do I do wrong?
Is the right driver being used? (Zadig is good!)

leodashevskiy

I am using driver, recommended by Olimex (as listed on page). What is Zagid and how can I get it?

leodashevskiy

Quote from: JohnS on January 17, 2022, 12:13:15 AMOh please! Do a web search & read!!
I did - nothing changed. All 3 computers in use by me now canot see this board. (and I got 3 boards, not 1!).

JohnS

leodashevskiy

I even do not see attempt to initialize driver by OS (using Event Viewer). Something wrong with those boards ?

tom9865

Hi,
I am having the same issue here. Received my ESP32-EVB. I tried several drivers for the USB2Serial connection. Even from some recommended chinese websites. Two different computers with Windows 10, 3 different micro USB cables.
Still my ESP32 is only showing up listed with exclamation mark.
Any ideas?
General question, is there any additional power supply needed for that board? I struggle finding that information.
Thanks in advance and best regards,

--Update: Long story short - again, the cable, 4th cable working without any problem :)

Tom

LubOlimex

Quote from: tom9865 on January 20, 2022, 09:49:07 AM--Update: Long story short - again, the cable, 4th cable working without any problem :)

This got me laughing. But seriously, at some point in the past we had to select manufacturer of USB cables, so we ordered samples from all cables and we tested them, then ripped them apart to see how good they are inside (how thick the wires, the shielding inside, and so on). Some of the cables had tiny wires inside and others even had no continuous wire but tightly packed metallic dust... You bent those a little and puff no USB power or connection.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex