SHIELD-LCD16x2, can't add library to Arduino IDE

Started by yak, October 12, 2020, 09:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yak

Hello,

When I try to add the SHIELD-LCD16x2 library (OLIMEXINO-328-LCD16x2.zip from https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/Shields/SHIELD-LCD16x2/open-source-hardware to the Arduino IDE (via menu Skets - include library - add .ZIP library) I get error message
"The library "Olimexino-328+LCD16x2" cannot be used.
Library names must contain only basic letters and numbers.
(ASCII only and no spaces, and it cannot start with a number)"

When I unzip the package myself and place it is the library directory in get a similar error about invalid characters in the file name.
I am using arduino IDE version 1.8.13

LubOlimex

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

yak

I did follow that procedure as far as possible. The procedure descibed in that document does not seem to match with the current version of the Arduino IDE.

I have Arduino IDE up and running with an Arduino Uno. 
I have also already added other libraries and build project with them without problems.

I have added the  JSON link for Olimex AVR boards successfully, I can select the Olimex AVR boards in the AVR tools menu.

In can load and compile the Olimex examples.

Adding libray OLIMEXINO-328-LCD16x2.zip does not go well, as I have described in my original message.
Please check it.

LubOlimex

QuoteAdding libray OLIMEXINO-328-LCD16x2.zip does not go well, as I have described in my original message. Please check it.

Maybe I wasn't clear: you don't need to add the library neither via Sketch -> Include Library, nor via manual extraction. It is already loaded when you load the Olimex AVR boards json link in preferences.

yak

Hello,

thanks for the clarification.

It looks a bit strange to me that you added the examples as examples for the  OLIMEXINO-328 and not just as examples for the SHIELD-LCD16x2 library.

Now I can only see the examples if I select an Olimex AVR board in Arduino IDE while I am using Arduino Uno.

To run the SHIELD-LCD16x2 example on Arduino IDE with the Olimex LCD I had to:
- Select OLIMEXINO-328 board in Arduino IDE.
- Open the SHIELD-LCD16x2 example
- Save it
- Select Arduino Uno board in the IDE
- Change the reference to "wire.h" in LCD16x2.cpp to "#include <Wire.h>"

It would have been more easier if you just provided the SHIELD-LCD16x2 with examples, without having to select the OLIMEXINO-328 board.

Thanks anyway,

LubOlimex

Glad you managed to get it going! Examples are connected to specific boards in Arduino IDE. We don't have Arduino Uno board to confirm whether our example works with Arduino Uno so we tie it with the hardware we have at hand, like OLIMEXINO-328 and other Olimex-made Arduino-like boards.