MOD-USB3G on linux

Started by victorqedu, September 12, 2020, 05:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victorqedu

Hello

I have tested a MOD-USB3G and in my first tests I receivend the error "Failed to get SMSC number from phone." from GAMMU.
But I make it work by following the manual and running this command: "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x5c6 product=0x6000"

After a few months I recommended this product to a client and I tried to use again my old product on the same linux sistem but the suprise is that I receive the original error from gammu: "Failed to get SMSC number from phone." and at the log console the message is: "Grabbed string from reply: "" (parsed 2 bytes)
Parsed phone string ""
Phone string decoded as ""
Parsing +CSCA: "", with +CSCA: @p, @0
Grabbed string from reply: "" (parsed 2 bytes)
Parsed phone string ""
Phone string decoded as ""
GSM_GetSMSC failed with error EMPTY[22]: Empty entry.
Leaving GSM_GetSMSC
[Terminating]
[Closing]
"

Running  "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x5c6 product=0x6000" is not solving the problem and I don't know how to fix this.
I also tested on Windows and here everything works fine, I can send SMS's.

Thank you.

olimex

Please provide more information so we can speculate.
What board/PC and Linux system do you use?
Did the kernel version changed between the two tests?

victorqedu

I tested on 2 machines:

1. On this linux I did my original tests I did no kernel updates, I just know that after a few months it was not working any more.
>lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial
>uname -r
4.4.0-87-generic

2.I also tested an a new linux, I just installed it and the first thing I have done is to test the device:
> lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

> uname -r
5.4.0-47-generic

No kernel update was done on the second linux.

Right now the device works on both linuxes and I have no idea why, it simply started to work without me doing anything so is unclear if this problem will reappear in the future as the source of the problem is not identified.

Do you know what I should try in the future if this problem reappears?

LubOlimex

Maybe you used different USB port this time? Can it be related to power supply available at specific USB port or USB hub?
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

victorqedu

I used the same USB 3.0 port. I tried on Linux and windows and I tried with 2 devices. Sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't. Simply reinserting the device in the USB port solves the problem but this is not the expected behaviour.

Once the device is working all is fine, no failure occurs unless I reinsert the device in the USB port. I'm not sure about what happens when I restart the computer.