Olimex with minimum 5 RJ45 and 4 USB (+Wifi and Prepaid SIM Card)

Started by miguipda, January 28, 2013, 03:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miguipda

Hi,

I currently use a router ASUS WL-500g Premium that will not be more supported and sell.
The only one other router that will also not be supported was the Freecom FSG-3.

Why are they so interesting :
4 USB,
Internal/External HardDrive,
TTL,
Are router that could be changed has server with the OpenWRT (see OpenWRT.org) linux router/server version.

Then if we could have a board like yours (many USB, ...) with min 5 Wired RJ45 (1 for WAN and 4 for LAN) with Wifi and SIM Card support I am sure it will become the more efficient Router/Server if it could run OpenWRT.

Could you please tell us if some of the Olimex board could run this OpenWRT Linux router/server program and how to add more than one RJ45 (to let it play as router).

Sincerely thanks,

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

P.S. : It seems some of people already tried it without result :
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/olinuxino

miguipda

Hi,

Why does we need this kind of board for Home Automation ?

By using OpenWRT router/server linux version we may use this board to do :

1) motion survey (by using USB webcam in place of IP Camera = cheaper camera that reduce the price of home survey) = also allowing to use webcam that use (micro)SD Card then synchronizing (micro)SD Card is easier to send e-mail (and/or MMS if SIM card exist on the router board)

2) same aspect as the 1) if we use a doorbell peephole that has a USB connection we may use it to synchronise and generate events in regard of what happened when somebody ring at door

3) having USB (even in module to allow eventual migration to USB 3 if not directly integrated) allow to use motion survey and or home automation log/action codes (stored on external HardDrive)

4) having GPIO/TTL/JTAG (I do not know which one) to use it for 1-Wire Home Automation (detection, Temperature, Humidity) to generate some registering and action when needed

5) having relays (module) to make some action (presence simulation), shade opening/close when the Temperature is higher/lower Or taking some actions following the humidity level. By example use some fan when the humidity level is too high

6) the interaction with yoctopuce module could facilitate all the home automation use :
http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/productcategories.php

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

csanyipal

Hi,

I would like too to have such home server ( router/gateway ) with at least 2 Ethernet ( WAN & LAN ) port, one WiFi adapter.

This hardware could one uses for web server too.

I would buy such Olimex product.

LubOlimex

What about RT5350F-OLinuXino-EVB + any USB wireless adapter supported by OpenWRT?

Link to the product page of RT5350F-OLinuXino-EVB: https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/RT5350F/RT5350F-OLinuXino-EVB/open-source-hardware

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

csanyipal

Indeed,

RT5350F-OLinuXino-EVB has two Ethernet ports and can has an USB wifi adapter.

But it has only 32 MB of RAM, and the CPU has one core?

I wish to have such hardware as this but with at least 2GB of RAM and a CPU with at least 2 core.

Is it possible to have such an Olimex hardware in the near future?

Best, Pál

JohnS

What you want is very different to the kind in this thread.  OpenWRT etc does not need 2 cores let alone 2GB RAM!

You can probably live with an A20 board or the like.

John