ESP32 Gateway Rev. C Phy Ethernet not working emac: Timed out waiting for PHY

Started by juansezoh, March 25, 2020, 05:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansezoh

Hi,

I have the similar error in Gateway ESP32 REV C,

E (1063) emac: Timed out waiting for PHY register 0x2 to have value 0x0007(mask 0xffff). Current value 0x0000
E (2064) emac: Timed out waiting for PHY register 0x3 to have value 0xc0f0(mask 0xfff0). Current value 0x0000

Can you tell me which example should I follow? What changes should be made about the Clock? About the gpio?

I am attentive, thank you very much.

Moderator edit: I've split this post in separate topic since it features different board and revision compared to the one in the original post. Also for better visibility.

LubOlimex

The ESP32-GATEWAY had major changes applied in revision D, so the software example for reivisons B and C is different compared to the newest versions. It is available here:

https://github.com/OLIMEX/ESP32-GATEWAY/tree/master/SOFTWARE/Hardware-revisions-B-or-C

If you are using Arduino you need to make sure the Olimex package is properly installed. The latest package takes care of board versions, refer to my screenshot:

If your Arduino package looks different re-install the Olimex package. If you have trouble installing the package follow this advice (despite that it is for ESP32-PoE boards):

https://www.olimex.com/Products/IoT/ESP32/_resources/Arudino-ESP32.txt
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

juansezoh

Hi, Thanks in advance, but the arduino examples in revision C how do I adjust them for ethernet to work ?, does the code need adjustments?

#ifdef ETH_CLK_MODE
#undef ETH_CLK_MODE
#endif
#define ETH_CLK_MODE    ETH_CLOCK_GPIO17_OUT

// Pin# of the enable signal for the external crystal oscillator (-1 to disable for internal APLL source)
#define ETH_POWER_PIN  -1

// Type of the Ethernet PHY (LAN8720 or TLK110)
#define ETH_TYPE        ETH_PHY_LAN8720

// I²C-address of Ethernet PHY (0 or 1 for LAN8720, 31 for TLK110)
#define ETH_ADDR        0

// Pin# of the I²C clock signal for the Ethernet PHY
#define ETH_MDC_PIN    15

// Pin# of the I²C IO signal for the Ethernet PHY
#define ETH_MDIO_PIN    2

LubOlimex

juansezoh

Hello, at this time the ETH started, however I am not sure about #define ETH_CLK_MODE ETH_CLOCK_GPIO17_OUT, does it work but in revision C this pin is disconnected, is correct this configuration? and GPIO0?, i am attentive, thanks.

LubOlimex

juansezoh

Hi everyone. In revision C, the ETH_CLK is connected to GPIO0 (I understand that from the schematic), however, the example only works if the ETH_CLK is defined like this #define ETH_CLK_MODE ETH_CLOCK_GPIO17_OUT, is this correct ?, or does it just work because GPIO17 does not have no effect and the ETH_CLK works with the external clock. Thanks.

Stanimir5F

Hello juansezoh!

Few months ago we have added that macro into the variant file for the official Espressif package which is dependant on the revision selected. You can check the file: C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\variants\esp32-gateway\pins_arduino.h
Note that these 2 macros are defined ONLY for revisions D or later:
#if ARDUINO_ESP32_GATEWAY >= 'D'
#define ETH_CLK_MODE ETH_CLOCK_GPIO17_OUT
#define ETH_PHY_POWER 5
#endif

The macros in the code you have were just a fix before our pull request was merged into their official release but is no longer required (assuming you have selected the respective revision of the board). Even if you have them defined in the code shouldn't be a problem but is recommended to remove them.

So you should be able to do it with Espressif default example: Main menu --> File --> Examples --> WiFi --> ETH_LAN8720

Best regards!
Stan, Olimex
May the Source be with You!