A20 SOM Armbian Device Tree Issues

Started by erdemustal, November 07, 2019, 09:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdemustal

Hi,
I have recently bought a rev E A20 Som. Burned a mainline bionic 5.2.20 to an SD. At first start, halted device at U-boot level, typed olinuxino and selected A20 SOM 8gb as my hardware. Device booted but under /boot/dtb/overlay folder, only sun5i-a13* prefixed dtb files are present. Under /boot/armbianEnv.txt, overlay prefix is assigned as sun7i-a20. My question is, any possibility that olinuxino configurator creates wrong device tree for my a20? Or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance!

LubOlimex

Hello,

Which version of A20-SOM exactly do you have? There are 3 variants (5 if we count T2-SOM).

What is the exact ID number that you type in the configurator? What happens if you set another A20-SOM variant ID - are the contents in /boot/dtb/overlay different?

Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

erdemustal

Hi,
I have A20-SOM-8gb Rev E. I type
olinuxino config write 8922 E 123456 11:22:33:44:55:66

after reboot, armbianEnv.txt file has overlayprefix=sun7i-a20, as expected, but content of /boot/dtb/overlays folder is

root@olinuxino:/boot/dtb/overlay# ls
README.sun5i-a13-overlays      sun5i-a13-spi-jedec-nor.dtbo
sun5i-a13-analog-codec.dtbo    sun5i-a13-spi-spidev.dtbo
sun5i-a13-fixup.scr            sun5i-a13-spi0.dtbo
sun5i-a13-i2c1.dtbo            sun5i-a13-spi1.dtbo
sun5i-a13-i2c2.dtbo            sun5i-a13-spi2.dtbo
sun5i-a13-nand.dtbo            sun5i-a13-uart0.dtbo
sun5i-a13-olimex-lcd-10.dtbo  sun5i-a13-uart1.dtbo
sun5i-a13-olimex-lcd-4.3.dtbo  sun5i-a13-uart2.dtbo
sun5i-a13-olimex-lcd-7.dtbo    sun5i-a13-uart3.dtbo
sun5i-a13-pwm.dtbo
root@olinuxino:/boot/dtb/overlay#

I tried to first erase the e2prom and select one of the a20-lime boards to see if the problem particularly about A20-Som, nothing changed, still sun5i files created. Thats the situation...

LubOlimex

The kernel for the A20 and A13 boards is the same. These are some overlays that can be used with the A13 boards. You shouldn't use those, use the A20 overlays instead, these can be found here

https://github.com/olimex/OLIMEX-sunxi-overlays

Thanks for pointing this out will see how we can improve it for the next release.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

erdemustal

Hi,
it seems, current version of olinuxino device configurator is unable to create the sun7i-a20 kernel overlays, and yes, I have to create them manually. The github link you pointed, does not include i2c dts, which I require most. I'm trying to add capacitive touch controller gt9xx from goodix, which is supported by kernel. Missing pieces are i2c1 dtb overlay and gt9xx user overlay for the device (which i am ready to compile if i2c1 works). Can you provide the i2c dts for sun7i-a20?
Thanks

Erdem U.