Starting A64 1G4GW

Started by Twinsen, April 28, 2018, 02:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twinsen

Im trying to start my A64, booting from SD card, that I received today.
Power supply 5V and 2.25A, SD card and HDMI cable are connected.

All I get on screen is OLIMEX logo.
Is that normal?

Thank you in advance.

LubOlimex

It is not normal. Did you purchase the card from Olimex (aka "A64-OLinuXino-UBUNTU-SD)?

Make sure to use this image: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/images/d/d5/A64-ubuntu_built_preliminary_rel_2.torrent

If the problem persists I would guess that the power supply has misleading labels and can't provide enough current while maintaining stable 5V. Measure the voltage at the bottom of the connector and check if it stays stable 5V during boot.

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Twinsen

Quote from: LubOlimex on April 30, 2018, 10:43:35 AM
It is not normal. Did you purchase the card from Olimex (aka "A64-OLinuXino-UBUNTU-SD)?

Make sure to use this image: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/images/d/d5/A64-ubuntu_built_preliminary_rel_2.torrent

If the problem persists I would guess that the power supply has misleading labels and can't provide enough current while maintaining stable 5V. Measure the voltage at the bottom of the connector and check if it stays stable 5V during boot.

Yes, I bought Ubuntu SD image from Olimex, for A64 precisely.

I decided that its power supply problem, so the first thing I did this morning is getting brand new laboratory power supply. It shows stable 5V during boot.

"Olimex" background on the screen.
And for a less than a second, I see few lines blink, and then nothing, except OLIMEX logo for hours.

Should I try the image from the torrent?
I was thinking that if it shows the logo on my screen, It shouldn't be HDMI problem, or I am wrong and should try it?

LubOlimex

It is possible that the file system got corrupted on first power up if there was insufficient supply or if it was not inserted fully, etc. If the file system gets corrupted it is possible that only parts of the image would not be accessible (not working, etc). Try to re-write the card with the image from the torrent that I linked.  Unfortunately, this requires SD card reader/writer.

Once the archive from the torrent is downloaded, extract it and use image writing software to prepare the card. I use Etcher software since it is fairly simple to use and has versions for all major operating systems (you might want to disable verification in its options since this slows down the whole process a lot): https://etcher.io/

Let me know how it goes or whether you encounter difficulties in re-writing the card.

Twinsen

Quote from: LubOlimex on April 30, 2018, 11:47:43 AM
It is possible that the file system got corrupted on first power up if there was insufficient supply or if it was not inserted fully, etc. If the file system gets corrupted it is possible that only parts of the image would not be accessible (not working, etc). Try to re-write the card with the image from the torrent that I linked.  Unfortunately, this requires SD card reader/writer.

Once the archive from the torrent is downloaded, extract it and use image writing software to prepare the card. I use Etcher software since it is fairly simple to use and has versions for all major operating systems (you might want to disable verification in its options since this slows down the whole process a lot): https://etcher.io/

Let me know how it goes or whether you encounter difficulties in re-writing the card.

Well, I downloaded the torrent and used Win32 disk imager to write it on the card.
(I started writing on the card before I saw your answer, ill use Etcher next time)

Everything seems to work perfect. Now I'm ready to have some fun with the card.

Thank you for your help :)

LubOlimex

Glad it worked.

You can transfer the Linux image to the eMMC with the eMMC.sh script.

We have almost completed a new image for the A64 board with LCD support and few other new features and some fixes. Hopefully it would be released in the next few days. So keep an eye on the product page for a new torrent by the end of the week.