PIC MAXI WEB - Revision A board

Started by APL, January 16, 2018, 05:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanimir5F

Hello APL!

1) Do you see any kind of webpage? Something like this.

2) I'm not very familiar with 4.02v of the Microchip stack because it has been released more than 10 years ago and I have worked mostly with 5.00 and newer. But from what I can see from the sources this version doesn't support dynamic update of the webpage and the only way to change it (webpage) is through the sources. But this includes reprogramming which is the bigger problem.

3) MPFS2 tool is just a generator of either *.bin or *.c or another type of output file to content the page, so yes, it is included in the stack 4.02

Stan, Olimex
May the Source be with You!

LubOlimex

I managed to get ICD2 working with Windows 10 and MPLAB 8. Have to test a bit more and take screenshots and will give you instructions tomorrow. So you can don't have to worry about 4.02 but upload the latest demo.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

APL

Quote from: Stanimir5F on January 23, 2018, 04:49:56 PM
Hello APL!

1) Do you see any kind of webpage? Something like this.

Hi

It used to serve a webpage ( not at all like your example ) but I tried to upload a new file via ftp, now all I get is 'Not found' in the top left hand corner of the browser.

2) I'm not very familiar with 4.02v of the Microchip stack because it has been released more than 10 years ago and I have worked mostly with 5.00 and newer. But from what I can see from the sources this version doesn't support dynamic update of the webpage and the only way to change it (webpage) is through the sources. But this includes reprogramming which is the bigger problem.

Do you have a zip archive of the 4.02 version? I understand the web page is dependent on some functions provided by the underlying stack, so while I have the 5.1 archive, I think there may be incompatibilities with the web page supplied in that version and the 4.02 I've got running on the board?

3) MPFS2 tool is just a generator of either *.bin or *.c or another type of output file to content the page, so yes, it is included in the stack 4.02

Got it, and I've attempted to use it to build a page. I've got a basic web page in a subfolder and I point MPFS2 at the folder and it generates two files: "MPFS2SettingDetails.xml" & "MPFSImg2.bin", I've been attempting to upload those two, but as I said earlier, I just get "Not found" when I browse to the board IP address.

APL

Quote from: LubOlimex on January 23, 2018, 05:55:11 PM
I managed to get ICD2 working with Windows 10 and MPLAB 8. Have to test a bit more and take screenshots and will give you instructions tomorrow. So you can don't have to worry about 4.02 but upload the latest demo.

That would be absolutely wonderful, Thank you.

Regards

Stanimir5F

Well, I have the 4.02 archive but like I said the webpage is embedded inside the project so in order to update the page you have to update the firmware. And if you can do it's pointless to do it with 4.02. If you manage to make it work your programmer it's better to use newer versions where it is possible to update the page at runtime (via page itself).
May the Source be with You!

LubOlimex

We never clarified which ICD2 you have exactly, but I hope it is PIC-ICD2-POCKET. So, to get Olimex PIC-ICD2-POCKET working under Windows 10:

1. Ensure that the proper driver is loaded. This operation might require manual driver change. When properly installed the device should be listed as "Microchip Custom USB Device" under "Custom USB Devices" tab in Windows "Device Manager".

1.1. Go to Windows "Device Manager". Use the search any type "device manager" if you have trouble.

1.2. Find how PIC-ICD2-POCKET gets listed. If you can't find it, disconnect and reconnect it until you have identified the entry associated with it. If the entry is "Microchip Win USB device" then it is NOT properly recognized and you need to change the driver.

1.3 Right-click on the entry in Windows "Device Manager". Then select "Update Driver Software" –> "Browse My Computer For Driver Software" –> "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". In the list there should be "Microchip Custom USB Device" option make sure to select it, then click "Next" at the bottom. It looks like this:

1.4 Restart computer and check in Windows "Device Manager" if the unit is now listed as "Microchip Custom USB Device" under "Custom USB Devices" tab.

2. Ensure that ICD2's configuration is set to "auto-connect".

2.1 Open MPLAB 8.92 and go to "Programmer" -> "Select Programmer" -> "MPLAB ICD2";

2.2. Go to "Programmer" -> "Connect", then "Programmer" -> "MPLAB ICD2 Setup Wizard", then in the pop-up select "Next" -> let "USB" selected, "Next" -> (!) make sure to mark the check box for the auto-connection, "Next" -> enable also the auto-download of operating system, "Next" -> "Finish.

3. Test. Remember to select the target chip. If everything is alright it should work now. Test reading the hex of the board. Notice that PIC-MAXI-WEB requires between 9V and 12V external power supply applied to the PWR terminal connector. A working setup look like this (used Windows 10 Home x64):

You might need to repeat the above every time you connect your ICD2 to a different USB port!

APL

Quote from: LubOlimex on January 24, 2018, 01:01:19 PM
We never clarified which ICD2 you have exactly, but I hope it is PIC-ICD2-POCKET. So, to get Olimex PIC-ICD2-POCKET working under Windows 10:

1. Ensure that the proper driver is loaded. This operation might require manual driver change. When properly installed the device should be listed as "Microchip Custom USB Device" under "Custom USB Devices" tab in Windows "Device Manager".

1.1. Go to Windows "Device Manager". Use the search any type "device manager" if you have trouble.

1.2. Find how PIC-ICD2-POCKET gets listed. If you can't find it, disconnect and reconnect it until you have identified the entry associated with it. If the entry is "Microchip Win USB device" then it is NOT properly recognized and you need to change the driver.

You had my hopes up there for a minute :)

In the device driver dialogue, under Custom USB devices, I get 'Microchip Custom USB Device Properties'
then again under Device Status:
"This device cannot start (Code 10 )
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API"

(Can't seem to insert an image here.)

The ICD2 I've got here is not the ICD2 pocket, it's the PIC-ICD2 board that's been obsoleted.

When I plug the PIC-ICD2 into the USB port Windows loads the 'Microchip Win USB device', and reports the driver working properly.

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device"

MPLab IDE gives the "Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0019: Communications:  Failed to open port (USB): (Windows::GetLastError() = 0x0, 'The operation completed successfully.
')"

{shrug}

Thanks

APL

I've decided to cut my losses and splash out and get the PICKIT3 which should work with my MPLab X on Linux.

That was the reason I never really did much with this project - MPLab didn't work with Linux - and why the board has sat at the back of my drawer for the last couple of years.

Hopefully, that should allow me to customise the board to my needs a little more.

Thanks Stan and Lub for you help.

LubOlimex

Alright, fair idea. Let us know if you have any trouble.

APL

Just wanted to let you know I've managed to upgrade to 5.42 and I've got the web page, and loads more controls than I had in the 4.02 version. Very happy now.

OK, just want to say, thanks for your help. And give you advance notice that I may be asking a lot more questions in future. :)