PIC32MZ DA series, with integrated Graphics Controller with 32MB

Started by mitack, June 22, 2017, 08:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitack

JohnS

Bearing in mind the quite high price and rather low performance, do you think anyone wants significant quantities?

John

olimex

Every month someone makes new microcontroller, we have no resources to cover them all :)
If something is really interesting to us we do it, like the new ESP32, but yet another microcontroller with few KB more RAM and few MB more Flash - who cares? what unique this PIC has which others don't?

JohnS

Just the quite high price?

For such low RAM, low flash, low performance...

John

kyrk.5

I hope that some day microchip really makes controllers with multiple cores. Back in 2016 Embedded World I asked them, they told they are working on it, but until now nothing :(

JohnS

Microchip are so far behind the cheap, fast, etc ARM multi-core CPUs so why would they?  Why would anyone buy them anyway?

They need to sort out pricing, too.

John

kyrk.5

That is true :(

Anyway, if they would have one, then I guess Mplab X would become twice as slow. More cores more slower the tool :)

The only thing is that I only own an ICD3 (+PICkit3) and I already know the devlopment environment (mplab, mplabx, compiler). Not that I would not be able to learn or accomodate on a different one. In fact big companies like to change the tooling on every project (some hobby from management or so). Maybe I need to buy an other kind of debugger and start to look for controllers with multicore. Not sure if there is a cheap debugger and free compiler available. Everything that I know const more than 1000+ Euros.

JohnS