Mod-io2 + mod-rs232 PC serial communication

Started by fpatronaggio, May 26, 2017, 02:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fpatronaggio

Hi to all!
I have purchased mod-io2 and mod-rs232.
I would understand how to use mod-rs232 as host for the communication between PC and mod-io2.

I have connected mod-io2 and mod-rs232 with uext cable, pc to mod-rs232 with serial cable, but serial communication from pc not working.

Actually I need to send i2c bytes from PC to mod-io2 via serial com to enable/disable relays and read input.

I hope you reply me asap because it's really urgent.
Thank you in advance for your support

LubOlimex

Hello,

This is not possible  :-\. MOD-IO2 uses I2C interface for communication with another board. You can't send commands to MOD-IO2 via serial port, only via I2C. MOD-RS232 uses UART (data serial) interface for communication with another board. The two boards are not compatible with each other.

MOD-IO2 is meant to be used with a board that has at least one free and available I2C interface. Like OLIMEXINO-328, Arduino UNO or similar. Then you establish  connection between MOD-IO2 and the main board via I2C. Then you connect the main board to a computer and communicate with the MOD-IO2 via the main board. There is an Arduino IDE library for MOD-IO2 and OLIMEXINO-328 available here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/IO/MOD-IO2/resources/OLIMEXINO-328+MOD-IO2.zip

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex