Using MSP43-JTAG-ISO-MK2 with MSP-Flasher

Started by VincentBr, January 19, 2017, 11:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentBr

Hello,

We have bought a MSP43-JTAG-ISO-MK2 for programming a MSP430F2132 in one of our products.
We Wanted to connect the MSP43-JTAG-ISO-MK2 to a computer and read and write the firmware and info memory with the Ti command prompt tool "MSPFLasher". This solution works with Ti MSP-Fet
We installed the .inf file for the driver and copied the DLL files over the old MSP430.DLL.
If we run the command "MSP430Flasher.exe -w "MSP4320_HEX.txt" -v -g -z [VCC]" it results in a fast and endless scrolling error screen with:

* Starting target code execution...done
* Resetting device (RST/NMI)...done

Is this a problem known ?     

For our application we want to program the microprocessor inside a unit. This will be done during a testing procedure that is controlled with LabVIEW. Is there a way to control the programmer thru the DLL with Labview like you can with a MSP-GANG Programmer ?

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,
Vincent Brakshoofden

LubOlimex

Hello Vincent,

The problem comes from the fact that the latest version of the MSP430Flasher tool uses only MSP430.dll protocol version 3 – while the MSP430.dll provided by Olimex follows is MSP430.dll protocol version 2. 

In short – please use an older version of MSPFlasher, one that uses MSP430.dll protocol version 2 by default. I tested with version 1.2.0 and it worked fine. I replaced the default MSP430.dll in the installation folder with the one provided by Olimex. Haven't tested other versions of MSPFlasher except for the latest one (1.3.11) and 1.2.0 – newer ones (but older than the latest one) might work also, so test and find out. I would believe versions 1.2.x should be alright while version 1.3.x should not work properly with the MSP430.dll that we provide. You might find links to older version of MSPFlash here:

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/images/tmp/f1391551273-1000483363.html

We typically use our "MSP430Programmer" tool which also has command line interface. I recommend you to test with it also. It is available for download here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/JTAG/_resources/MSP_PROG_GUI_1.3.0.4_CLI_2.0.1.2_DLL_1.0.4.2.zip – again replace the dll in the installation folder with the latest one. Of course, the tool also works with CCS and MSPDebug and other MSP430-related tools.

>> Is this a problem that can be fixed ?           

Not at the moment, since it would require re-writing the firmware of the JTAG. I'd recommend to use the workaround.

>> Is there a way to control the programmer thru the DLL with Labview like you can with a MSP-GANG Programmer ?

Even if there is a way, I'm are not aware. We neither have experience with Labview, nor we own MSP-GANG programmer. Furthermore, I haven't received any customer feedback on such possibility.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex