March 29, 2024, 07:26:45 AM

Is my MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 toasted?

Started by Hua.Ai, August 18, 2016, 01:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hua.Ai

It has been stuck in "Format Partitions Please Wait." state for more than 40 minutes now. Is it toasted?

Anyway to reset it to working state again?

LubOlimex

Hey,

It is quite likely that the SD card inside either got disconnected by mechanical force or got somehow damaged under unknown circumstances.

My recommendations are:

1. Try to upload latest firmware for the MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2. It is located here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/JTAG/MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2/resources/OLIMEX_MSP430-DLL_drivers.zip ; please refer to page 7 of the user's manual for instructions how to do it: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/JTAG/MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2/resources/MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2.pdf

2. Try to open the box carefully and check if the SD card is properly set in place or if it works. Try to format it. If it doesn't work at all just replace it with another SD card. Note that we don't recommend opening the device, so if you think you lack the required skills I recommend you to return the board for a repair. More information about warranty and off-warranty repairs might be found here: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/GTC#Warranty

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Hua.Ai

Thank you for the reply. I opened it and re-inserted the SD card, still the same problem. I took the card out and formatted in a Samsung tablet successfully, put it back, still the same problem.

Since we two MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 devices in the lab so I swapped the cards between two devices, the problem went with the card. So most likely it is the card. Will get a new card for this.

Thanks again!

Hua.Ai

Hi Lub,

Does MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 support HEX format (instead of TXT format) in standalone mode?

On p.g. 19 of its user manual, it seems to suggest that it supports HEX. But when I do the following it failed with a message saying invalid project:

1. Set MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 in debugger mode
2. Read an image from a MSP430 device using Olimex MSP430 Programmer software, save it into a hex file.
3. Write the hex file into the device using Olimex MSP430 Programmer software to verify the file was generated correctly.
4. Set MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 in standalone mode
5. Read the same device to generate a txt file and opj file, will use the opj file as template later
6. Set MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 in mass storage mode
7. Copy the hex file into SD card of MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2
8. Modify opj file to use the hex generated in step 2 instead
9. Make sure both the hex and opj files have the same name
10. Set MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 in standalone mode
11. Program the device with the renamed hex file originally generated in step 2
12. Failed with a message saying invalid project.

At step 8, I only change the file name in a line like below:

<Programming PresaveCal="1" Erase="0" Blank="0" Write="1" Verify="0" Blow="0" File="hua.hex"/>

Is there anything else I need to modify in opj to make MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 support HEX in standalone mode?

Thanks!
Hua

LubOlimex

Hey,

HEX format should work.

The problem is most likely related to the name of the hex file. Try with a name that contains 8 characters - e.g. instead of hua.hex try hua_1234.hex. Also make sure that the .opj and .hex files have the same name.

It might also be related to the exact format of the hex generated by "Olimex MSP430 Programmer". If possible try to generate the hex with another software tool (IAR EW for MSP430, for example).

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex