MOD-MP3 interface with and command by non-UEXT microcontrollers

Started by s.galfre, March 14, 2016, 11:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.galfre

Hello
I already had a project made with Arduino UNO, to which I wanted to add sound effects.
I took a MOD-MP3-X, but can't find how to wire (jumper), libraries, code examples for a very simple application like playing given files commanded by Arduino (no buttons, flashing leds, etc).
...maybe it was not so wise of me to buy a "MOD" shield and try to use it as a standard serial device :-[, but it looked like a good choice in terms of cost and layout.
Thank you
Stefano

kyrk.5

Hi,

First of all, I assume you want to use the board over the (rs232-ttl) serial interface. However it is possible to drive the VS1053 over the SPI. For proper configuration see P13 of the manual Jumpers description depending on mode. And select the UEXT smart control mode.

Wiring: Page 13. In this mode you can use RXD and TXD signals of UEXT connector to communicate
between MOD-MP3-X and your computer. P15: UEXT Pinout
Note: Firs you can try to connect this board to your PC with an USB-Rs232 converter. Commands on P13. Look simple.

Libraries: I think there is no library available on the olimex page. But since it is a very simple device, you should be able to use it trough some kind of serial library from Arduino.

code examples: There are some code examples. This one could be a good starting point: MOD-MP3-X and PIC32-PINGUINO/OTG demo code

"...maybe it was not so wise of me to buy a "MOD" shield and try to use it as a standard serial device"
It was a good choice! You need just to learn how this board works, by understanding the manual and the examples. Later on you might try the SPI interface of the VS1053. It is more sophisticated but trough that you can learn a lot of stuffs.