Out of memory at boot, free shows only 13 MB

Started by marco.sabatano, December 10, 2015, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marco.sabatano

Hello Olimex team,

I just got a RT5350F board which i selected as base for an important project I have to develop.
Unfortunately i am not able to work with it since Linux goes out of memory already when is trying to activate network services.
The console is reachable, but the serial output is continuously flooded by "out o memory messages".
I have been able to execute a "free" commands and it's only showing something more than 12 Mbyte as total memory!
Did i get a faulty  part?
I captured some log on the serial, how to send it to you?

BR
Marco

viliam

Hi, I have also run into the same problem with my new board. Any solutions ?

Thank you

LubOlimex

Hey,

This is mentioned at the bottom of the web page of RT5350F-OLinuXino-EVB. I would quote it below:

"
Q:I see only 16MB RAM listed in OpenWRT! The board is supposed to have 32MB RAM! Did I get a defective board? What should I do in order to see 32MB RAM?

A:The board should be fine - during the production tests the amount of RAM listed in OpenWRT gets verified by a technician. Usually there are three ways to fix this issue:

1) Unpower the board. Disconnect your serial cable from the board. Power the board and wait 30 seconds then connect the serial cable. The whole 32MB of RAM memory should be available now. Some noisy serial cables might alter the levels of the board, which affects the bootstrap configuration.

2) Purchase a better USB <-> serial cable. Our serial cables (USB-SERIAL-CABLE-F) should work fine.

3) Disconnect the power supply from the board. Connect pin #27 from EXT4 connector to pin #3 of the same connector via a 1K resistor. After the connection is established apply power to the board. This forces a 32MB-nly bootstrap configuration - this alteration just pulls up LINK2 (since LINK3 is already pulled-up). Refer to the datasheet for more information.
"

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

viliam

Oh, sorry, i have read just RT5350F-OLinuXino page. Thank You !