AM3352 JTAG emulator

Started by happycorsair, November 15, 2015, 01:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happycorsair

Hello, guys!
I'd like to ask 2 stupid questions (I'm newbie in bare metal development, so please don't blame too much).

1) Accidentally I found ARM-USB-OCD-H debugger. Is it compatible with my AM3352 EVM?
2) If no, which low-costing JTAG debugger, compatible with openocd(!!!), can I buy and use?

Thanks in advance!

JohnS

happycorsair

QuoteIf the EVM has JTAG.
Hi, John.
Thanks for your answer!
I'm talking about official Olimex AM3352-SOM-EVB, so it certainly has 20-pin JTAG. Do you know, if they are 100% compatible?

JohnS

No, but JTAG is JTAG.

The AM is not a chip I've any interest in.  I hope it has excellent doc from its maker or you may struggle.

John

happycorsair

Thank you once again.
If someone is interested in, I've tested TMS320-XDS100-V2 (by Olimex) and it seems to work with OpenOCD 0.9 (built by myself with --enable-legacy-ft2232_libftdi)

vinifr

Hi,

Well, AM3352 is to run Linux in principle. But, yes, you can run bare metal too, I guess. Anyway, running Linux you can use gdb or  gdb-arm-linux-gnu, it is very powerful!  ;)

happycorsair

Hi :)
I can't agree with you about your first statement. There are not so many cheap Cortex A development boards with ready-to-use JTAG-interface. So, I would say, IT IS FOR BARE METAL. Even more, AM335X has perfect documentation, what makes bare metal development very cool.

Ah, gdb rocks(!!!), you are completely right.

vinifr

Hi,

Answering your question, I think is compatible, but i'm not sure. AM3352-SOM has JTAG pins/signals: nTRST, TCK, TMS, TDI and TDO. ARM-USB-OCD-H debugger has these pins too: https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/JTAG/_resources/openocd-jtag-layout.png.
In another hand, openocd has not a specific file to AM3352-SOM, but maybe ti_beaglebone.cfg works.