April 26, 2024, 02:31:04 AM

olimexino nano gsm

Started by refiloe.kunene@veolia.com, October 15, 2015, 12:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

refiloe.kunene@veolia.com

hi

i am a newbie i have arduino mega and i want to interface it with the olimexino nano gsm , but i cant seem to get it to work . please help .i have connected the tx and rx of the gsm to tx1 and rx1 of the arduino mega respectively . The olimexino nano gsm is flashig fine . but its not responsind to the testing program suplied on the website .

lordton

Okay , I have spent something like 48 hours for an exactly samу problem   :o

I have olimexino nano gsm module connected to 3.7 (checked with multimeter) nokia battery and have it's led blinking
My SIM has no pin. SIM card is operational.
I'm trying to connect to arduino uno or arduino nano (tried both), but the gsm module gives no reply to AT commands.

Any pins
Any baud

Silence. The module is not reacting in any way.
Could you give me some kind of tutorial on connecting?

Unfortunately i'm not able to run the olimexino example code as Uno and Nano have no Serial1, but examples with default GSM module libraries and softwareserial that proved to be working with SIM800H are getting no reply from Olimexino Nano GSM module.

lordton

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial mySerial(2, 3); // RX, TX
void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(19200);
  Serial.println("Goodnight moon!");
  mySerial.begin(19200);
  mySerial.println("AT");
}

void loop()
{
  if (mySerial.available())
    Serial.write(mySerial.read());
  if (Serial.available())
    mySerial.write(Serial.read());
}

LubOlimex

Hello guys,

I want to ensure you that all OLIMEXINO-NANO-GSM modules get tested over serial connection during production. This significantly lowers the chances of problem at our side.

It would be hard for me to determine the exact problem. Few pointers:

1. OLIMEXINO-NANO-GSM is intended to be used with OLIMEXINO-NANO – snap them together and you have all connections established. Using other boards complicates the setup since you would need to establish the hardware connections using wires. Your hardware connections can be wrong. Double check if all connections are properly established. Make sure you are using the proper 0.1" step pins at the edge of the boards – there are two sets of pins which are not duplicate! One side has the UART signals (RX, TX), the other has USB signals.

2. Double check your powering. You would need either an external power supply or a battery (or both). You will NOT be able to power the board through another board.

3. Remember to turn on the module using the power button.

4. The code is made for OLIMEXINO-NANO (that has ATmega32u4 like the Leonardo boards). You would need to edit it to make it work with your hardware.

5. If anything else fails – I highly recommend you to get a simple USB <-> serial cable – something like USB-SERIAL-CABLE-F or BB-CH340T (or any USB<-> serial cable you might have; every electronics shop sell such cables) – this would allow you simpler serial connection to a personal computer and a serial terminal software (like puTTy). Use the RX and TX pins at the 0.1" step header. You would also need to power the GSM module. The baudrate is 9600.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

lordton

Thx for a non-specific useless answer.
I have sent the board back for a refund as a faulty product not reacting on AT commands via RX TX.

lordton

Poor documentation, poor support. NEVER again an olimex customer.

AloinJen

As per my experience the OLIMEXINO-NANO-GSM is intended to be used with OLIMEXINO-NANO.
Your hardware connections can be wrong. Double check if all connections are properly established.
Make sure you are using the proper 0.1" step pins at the edge of the boards there are two sets of pins which are not duplicate
Also check your powering. You would need either an external power supply.

prototype pcb assembly services

JohnS

It's a pity the OP didn't seem to be up to even simple tasks and apparently unwilling to co-operate.

John

refiloe.kunene@veolia.com

I have managed to connect olimexino nanno gsm to the arduino board and send the AT commands , technically i can the libraries provided to us are not that useful .  so its better to create your own small libraries suitable for your program using AT commands