A couple questions before getting an A13 OLinuXino

Started by sauerkraut, August 14, 2015, 05:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauerkraut

Hello, I have a couple questions I would like to get answered before I purchase an A13 OLinuXino.

Eventually I am looking to create a custom board for the Allwinner A13 SoC and I want to use the OLinuXino as a development tool for the software side of the project.

If I use the olimex sd card image and boot into the OLinuXino with a vga lcd screen connected will a linux console appear?

Also, once i move to a custom board will it be possible to use the USB OTG to ssh into the board to use it as a headless computer? This is important as my board will have no way to connect a display.

Also in the older Allwinner datasheets it says there are only 2 UART's on the A13, yet on the latest one (available from Allwinner's github page) it says there are 4 available. Are all 4 of these UART's available to use for application code? or are some of them dedicated to using as a debug output for the kernel?

Thanks very much for the help!

JohnS

You're going to have to build your own kernel etc for your board so get an Olimex board and start doing that.  Then you can do all you ask I think.

John

Gerrit

Quote from: sauerkraut on August 14, 2015, 05:08:55 AM
If I use the olimex sd card image and boot into the OLinuXino with a vga lcd screen connected will a linux console appear?

Yes you can switch to a console, but you boot in to a LXDE Desktop Environment (graphical)

Quote from: sauerkraut on August 14, 2015, 05:08:55 AM
Also, once i move to a custom board will it be possible to use the USB OTG to ssh into the board to use it as a headless computer? This is important as my board will have no way to connect a display.

Yes if you compile the modules needed, http://linux-sunxi.org/USB_Gadget#USB_Ethernet_support

sauerkraut

Awesome, I'm not worried about building my own kernel to do what I need, but I'll most certainly get a tried and tested board to test software (and then I'll have tried and tested software for my custom hardware).

Thanks guys!